Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Ali Ok <al...@aliok.com.tr> on 2010/03/18 00:00:39 UTC

[GSOC] About Proposal of HTML5 Renderkit

Hi,
As you know, I will apply GSOC for "Myfaces HTML5 renderkit" project.
Tomorrow, I think it will be announced that ASF is accepted as a GSOC
organization (I have no doubt:) ). So, I should speed up preparing my
proposal and want to ask some questions. Thanks in advance and I really
appreciate your help.

I see that some ideas are written at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12314021
Should I add HTML5 renderkit project there? Are these only project ideas
offered by possible mentors? If so, my mentor (or I) might want to write
HTML5 renderkit there.

Questions below are related to each other, so you may want to answer them
step-by-step in time.

Citation from this<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/GSoC>wiki:

> ASF expects "a list of deliverables, quantifiable results for the Apache
> community, a detailed description / design document, an approach, an
> approximate schedule".

1. What should I write about deliverables? Should I write complete list of
JSF components? Other than that?
2. Approach? What will be my approach? Considering this
mail<http://old.nabble.com/-GSOC--HTML5-Renderkit-Start-up-td27748075.html>(thanks
to Leonardo and Jakob), are these good?:
      A new component set with target HTML5 and JSF 2.
      Write all possible components, even if duplicates some existing
components.(ie hx:inputText, but not hx:form since <form> HTML element is
not changed with HTML5)
      Use myfaces builder plugin
      Any other stuff?
3. Schedule? Ok, this is related to deliverables and will be answered after
question #1. But, there will be midterm evaluations in mid-July. So, IMHO,
a milestone would be fine at that time. But what can be the goals and the
content of milestone?

4. Where should I put my proposal? Is
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/GSoC good? You can
answer this after announcement of acceptance status of ASF.

I will share my proposal draft with you later. Then we can talk about some
details.

Thanks,
Ali

--
My Blog: http://blog.aliok.com.tr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/aliok_tr

Re: [GSOC] About Proposal of HTML5 Renderkit

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Ali Ok <al...@aliok.com.tr> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your answer Matthias, you are the coolest possible mentor :)
> I have some new questions about the proposal procedure :)
>
> As a methodology, I want to write "Software prototyping [1]". First step of
> this is producing the prototypes, which is not actually coding, right? So,

well, I think it is part of getting the job done..

> is it OK to write prototyping in project schedule between April 30 (1 week
> after acceptance announcement) and May 24 (Coding start)? Possible periods
> for prototyping:
>
> Prototyping before April 23 (acceptance announcement): All the GSOC work
> should be done within the GSOC period, so this is not an option.

correct, that's not good.

> Prototyping after May 24(coding starts) Is it too late?
> Some time in Community Bonding Period [2](April 23 - May 24) (between
> acceptance announcement and coding start) is a cool period for prototyping.
> Possible?

the page says:
<snip>
Students get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to
begin working on their projects.
</snip>

=> get up to speed is kinda prototyping, once the mentor got in closer
contact with the student, and the student
started to read/understand the documentation. So IMO "get up to speed
to begin working on their projects" sounds like this is the time to do
prototyping.

> I don't need to write all components one by one in my proposal, right? This
> was my purpose when I started prototyping, but I see the effort of
> determining components is also part of the GSOC work. So, I won't write the
> possible components into my proposal. Any objection?

IMO that's fine. As said before just say that you write an HTML 5
"library" for JSF.
Your work will (I think/hope) generate some "framework" (guide), so if you can't
finish all components, it will be simple afterwards to continue there.

> What do you think about this template schedule?

it looks OK. One question

=> Writing unit tests(3 days)

So are you planing to write the tests after you are done ? :)
I'd not be too surprised if they kinda like test-driven-development.
I do :-)

Greetings,
Matthias

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [GSOC] About Proposal of HTML5 Renderkit

Posted by Ali Ok <al...@aliok.com.tr>.
Hi,
Thanks for your answer Matthias, you are the coolest possible mentor :)
I have some *new* questions about the proposal procedure :)

   - As a methodology, I want to write "Software
prototyping<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_prototyping>[1]".
First step of this is producing the prototypes, which is not actually
   coding, right? So, is it OK to write prototyping in project schedule between
Period<http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#timeline>[2](April
      *

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.