Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Da...@scee.net on 2007/07/06 10:45:56 UTC

iPlanet / SunONE web server tomcat connector connection re-use disabled

Hi,

BACKGROUND:

I have been using the tomcat connector for Netscape / SunONE web server
from the tomcat-connectors-1.2.23-src bundle available from the main
tomcat site. I have found that connections are not being re-used by the
connector. i.e. the connector opens a separate connection to tomcat for
each and every request it's configured to pass to tomcat and then closes
that connection after receiving it's response.

When I enable debug logging for the connector I see messages telling me
that connection re-use is disabled. I found reference to an option for
apache to disable re-use but nothing for Netscape. Looking at the source
code I find that all but the Netscape connector appear to have a
"s->disable_reuse = JK_FALSE;" statement in the "init_ws_service" function
in the connector source code file (jk_nsapi_plugin.c for Netscape).

As a test I have added this to the Netscape connector and re-compiled and
it now re-uses connections which is an obvious performance gain (I'm
assuming here as I haven't benchmarked anything). The implication is that
someone either explicitly set re-use to be disabled for Netscape,
presumably due to problems not immediately obvious if re-use is enabled,,
or someone changed the common code to make re-use optional but forgot to
enable it by default in the Netscape connector. I only suggest the latter
as there is no immediately obvious indication that it is intentionally
disable in Netscape and the plug-in seems to work with it enabled after
some very brief testing.

QUESTION:

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the Netscape connector should not have
connection re-use enabled as the other connectors do. Some overview of any
reason would also be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Dale Roberts
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793

Re: iPlanet / SunONE web server tomcat connector connection re-use disabled

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Thank for the encouraging feedback.

Your config looks OK, maybe you would also like to add a
connect_timeout, which works like prepost_timeout but when creating a
new backend connection.

Regards,

Rainer

Posted by Da...@scee.net.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi Dale,

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jul 6, 2007, at 4:45 AM, Dale_Roberts@scee.net wrote:
> QUESTION:
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny whether the Netscape connector should
> not have
> connection re-use enabled as the other connectors do. Some overview
> of any
> reason would also be much appreciated.

It does not, but would be a good addition. I will look into
what would be required to add that in.

Thanks!