Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/07/11 12:29:21 UTC

[5.0] [VOTE] New branches and repositories

New repositories are needed to host the new Tomcat 5.0 code, including
the new servlet & JSP API, Catalina, Coyote 2.0 and protocol handlers,
Jasper.

A) For the Servlet & JSP API, I think a new separate repository is
needed (jakarta-servletapi-5 to follow the current conventions). Or we
could put it in the HEAD of jakarta-servletapi (and the old 2.1 API goes
in a branch).

B) For Catalina, we could either use a new repository, named either
j-t-catalina or j-t-5.0, or use the HEAD of j-t-4.0 (the current code
would then be branched).

C) Coyote 2.0 will be in the HEAD of j-t-c. Coyote 1.0 will be put in a
separate branch.

D) Tomcat specific glue code (if some is needed) would go in either
j-t-5.0, the HEAD of j-t-4.0, or the HEAD of j-t.

E) Jasper 2+ goes in the HEAD of j-t-j. The current Jasper 2 will go in
a branch.

<ballot>

A) Servlet 2.4 & JSP 2.0 API
1. [ ] Use new jakarta-servletapi-5
2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-servletapi
3. [ ] Other:

B) Catalina 2.0
1. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-catalina
2. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
4. [ ] Other:

C) Coyote 2.0
1. [ ] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-connectors
2. [ ] No, use:

D) Tomcat 5.0
1. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat
4. [ ] Other:

E) Jasper 2.0
1. [ ] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-jasper
2. [ ] No, use:

</ballot>

Thanks for voting ;-)

Remy

Re: [5.0] [VOTE] New branches and repositories

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.
Sorry for the late vote.  I've been on vacation last two weeks.  ;-)

> <ballot>
>
> A) Servlet 2.4 & JSP 2.0 API
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-servletapi-5
> 2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-servletapi
> 3. [ ] Other:
>
> B) Catalina 2.0
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-tomcat-catalina
> 2. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> 3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 4. [ ] Other:
>
> C) Coyote 2.0
> 1. [X] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> 2. [ ] No, use:
>
> D) Tomcat 5.0
> 1. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> 2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 3. [X] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat
> 4. [ ] Other:
>
> E) Jasper 2.0
> 1. [X] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-jasper
> 2. [ ] No, use:
>
> </ballot>

Amy

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Quoting Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>:

> <ballot>
>
> A) Servlet 2.4 & JSP 2.0 API
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-servletapi-5
> 2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-servletapi
> 3. [ ] Other:

> B) Catalina 2.0
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-tomcat-catalina
> 2. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> 3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 4. [ ] Other:
>
> C) Coyote 2.0
> 1. [X] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> 2. [ ] No, use:
>
> D) Tomcat 5.0
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> 2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat
> 4. [ ] Other:
>
> E) Jasper 2.0
> 1. [X] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-jasper
> 2. [ ] No, use:
>
> </ballot>

Which make Tomcat 5.0 a glue for edge packages (I feel it more modular)

Re: [5.0] [VOTE] New branches and repositories

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Posted by Patrick Luby <pa...@sun.com>.
Remy,

Below are my votes. I like the idea of using repositories without
versions numbers for the Catalina, Jasper, and Tomcat code. It always
seemed to me to be a pain to create a new CVS repository every time
there is a new release instead of just creating a branch for the old
release.

Patrick

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> <ballot>
>
> A) Servlet 2.4 & JSP 2.0 API
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-servletapi-5
> 2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-servletapi
> 3. [ ] Other:
>
> B) Catalina 2.0
> 1. [X] Use new jakarta-tomcat-catalina
> 2. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> 3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 4. [ ] Other:
>
> C) Coyote 2.0
> 1. [X] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> 2. [ ] No, use:
>
> D) Tomcat 5.0
> 1. [ ] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
> 2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> 3. [X] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat
> 4. [ ] Other:
>
> E) Jasper 2.0
> 1. [X] Yes, use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-jasper
> 2. [ ] No, use:
>
> </ballot>

Patrick Luby                     Email: patrick.luby@sun.com
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

Re: [5.0] [VOTE] New branches and repositories

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>>D) Tomcat 5.0
>>1. [X] Use new jakarta-tomcat-5.0
>>2. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>>3. [ ] Use the HEAD of jakarta-tomcat
>>4. [ ] Other:
>

> That's a hard one...
>
> I would like it to go in jakarta-tomcat, but the current CVS organization
> is a mess and would create more problems.
>
> I'm actually more on jakarta-tomcat-5 ( without the .0 - since
> 5.1 will be in this CVS too )

Yes, that makes sense (the current 4.0 in the repository name is
awkward), and it's an easy change. Unless somebody has something against
it, I'll consider vote 1. to be "jakarta-tomcat-5".

Posted by co...@covalent.net.