Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Craeg K Strong <cs...@arielpartners.com> on 2002/05/03 06:36:12 UTC

[Fwd: Re: semantics question]

(private) traffic on <xmlcatalog>.    Any and all comments are welcome!

--Craeg

   From: Craeg K Strong
                                    <cs...@arielpartners.com>

I guess I am thinking about the usecase where you have a directory tree
with files called "catalog."   The reasons could be simple convenience.
Recall that a catalog file has a base directory from which all path
calculations
are made, which by default is the directory in which the catalog file
lives.
Therefore, by having multiple catalog files in different directories, it
could
make the internal paths much shorter and simpler.     For example, I
could have a catalog
file in my "images" directory, another one in my "DTDs" directory, and
another
in my "special characters" directory, etc. etc.

<xmlcatalog id="allmycatalogs"
    <!-- get all the catalogs in the tree -->
     <catalogfiles
        dir = "/nfsdir/catalogs"
        includes = "**/catalog"/>
     <!-- and add a few special for this project --->
     <dtd
       publicId = "-//ArielPartners//DTD XML Article V1.0//EN"
       location = "com/arielpartners/knowledgebase/dtd/article.dtd"/>
    <entity
       publicId = "ArielLogo"
       location = "com/arielpartners/images/ariel.gif"/>
</xmlcatalog>

The alternative could get pretty ugly:

<xmlcatalog id="allmycatalogs"
    <xmlcatalog file="/mynfsdir/catalogs/one/catalog"/>
    <xmlcatalog file="/mynfsdir/catalogs/one/two/catalog"/>
    <xmlcatalog file="/mynfsdir/catalogs/one/two/three/catalog"/>
</xmlcatalog>

(you get the idea)

Anyway, I agree with you about not extending AbstractFileSet.   Upon
looking at it,
I do think it is cleaner and nicer to have a nested fileset.   I kind of
like the name
"catalogfiles"   what do you think?

--Craeg

PS Sorry about not making the 1.5 deadline.    I will get this done in a
day or
two, I promise.   I guess I can live with 1.6alpha if I must :-)

Re: Re: semantics question]

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Yes, thats on my TODO list at some point before we go final release.  There
are several XMLCatalog related doc changes needed, I believe.

    Erik

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
that just leaves the docs then, right?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.