Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Sean Mitchell <se...@mitchwood.com> on 2005/08/03 11:38:13 UTC

Lenya questions

Hi All...

I have been playing with Lenya for the past week or so and have a few
questions I hope ppl could help me with. I have two projects for which I am
considering Lenya. One is (will be) essentially a blog - just a collection of
articles with photos in them - the other is a fairly large news portal
(currently phpnuke) with a message board (JForum).

I see that 1.4 is not yet considered stable.. I'm wondering if I would be
better off working in 1.2 or if the effort of migrating to a future release
will be enough to warrant developing in 1.4 and waiting for maturity. My lead
time is probably about 3-4 months before I would be going live.

If I understand correctly, the only datasource for a generator is XML. Will
this scale well on a busy site, having to parse the XML for every dynamic
request? Is there a way to pass a DOM object instead?

Is there a writeup somewhere that will help me understand how to get a
generator to pull content from a Java object? I see there is a cocoon:// url
scheme, but it's not clear to me how I hook it up to my code.

I love the Kupu integration, and the workflow. Think I have a handle on where
to alter the workflow (for the blog I just want 'publish', no 'submit'), but
I don't understand how I can have the same kind of process for editing news
items, content blocks, and various other parts of the site. For example, the
sample blog has the 'standard' Lenya publishing system only for the blog
entries, not for the sidebar.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to Michael and contributors for writing Lenya!

Sean

Re: Lenya questions

Posted by Sean Mitchell <se...@mitchwood.com>.
On August 3, 2005 01:48 pm, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> best take a look at some generator source code in cocoon / lenya, plus
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/generation/class-use
>/Generator.html

Thanks, also this looks promising:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/tutorial/tutorial-rmi-generator.html

Sean

Re: Lenya questions

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Sean Mitchell wrote:

> I see that 1.4 is not yet considered stable.. I'm wondering if I would be
> better off working in 1.2 or if the effort of migrating to a future release
> will be enough to warrant developing in 1.4 and waiting for maturity. My lead
> time is probably about 3-4 months before I would be going live.

i personally think that 3-4 months is plenty of time to get familiar
with 1.4 and find any issues that may still be in there.

> If I understand correctly, the only datasource for a generator is XML. Will
> this scale well on a busy site, having to parse the XML for every dynamic
> request? Is there a way to pass a DOM object instead?

cocoon / lenya uses sax streams, which are more efficient than a DOM,
plus extensive caching. the performance is really not an issue.