Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jocelyn Paine <po...@ifs.org.uk> on 2002/09/02 22:25:27 UTC

Re: Tomcat 4.0.4 under Windows NT crashes: "memory cannot be read"

Randall,

I installed the 1.3.1 JSDK in place of 1.2, and this error _seems_ to have
gone away. Since it wasn't 100% repeatable, I can't be sure, and will have
to test it on my colleague's machine (which always tended to manifest the
fault more often), but I may be lucky.

You suggested I install JSDK 1.3.1 or 1.4.0: I wasn't able to install the
latter, because InstallShield crashed "Interface not found" when it
started the install proper, after unpacking its files. Surely Sun can't
have left such an obvious bug, but perhaps they don't support NT 4 any
more?

In answer to your question, I'd been running Tomcat stand-alone, not glued
to Apache.

Finally, with reference to a comment in your earlier mail, is Tomcat
indeed 100% Java? I.e. it doesn't include any native code? If so, I wonder
what it was provoking to crash the 1.2 JVM (assuming that is indeed what
happened) - nothing I've run has ever managed that before, not even the
same application under a different server. (Since the fault appeared on
two different machines, with different hardware configurations and Windows
versions, I'd been assuming it was unlikely to be hardware or drivers.)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. My colleague's machine is in France until
next week, but when I can get at it, I'll post again if upgrading his JVM
doesn't fix the problem.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.ifs.org.uk/~popx/
+44 (0)7768 534 091