Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dawg fan <da...@verizonmail.com> on 2004/11/30 05:29:24 UTC

suse 9.1, tomcat5.0.27, mod_jk2, apache 2.0.13 problems

Hello,

We just reloaded many of our front-end servers to suse 9.1 from suse 8.2.  This release of suse of course has the new 2.6 kernel with a few other changes.  That is the only change as we used the same tomcat 5.0.27, mod_jk2, and apache 2.0.13 configurations from the previous 8.2 server.  These servers easily do over 100,000 http requests per server per hour.  Under the new 9.1, we get many more mod_jk2 errors and the frequently occurring hanging apache child processes.  This causes high cpu usage and causes the server to get slow and stop serving.

To attempt a fix, apache was recompiled in 9.1.  Problems still occur.

Has anyone else noticed this performance issue?  Is a recompilation of mod_jk2 and/or tomcat needed for them to function correctly in the new suse 9.1?

Thoughts?

-Joe

Re: suse 9.1, tomcat5.0.27, mod_jk2, apache 2.0.13 problems

Posted by Quinton Delpeche <qu...@vippayroll.co.za>.
On Tuesday 30 November 2004 06:29, dawg fan wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> We just reloaded many of our front-end servers to suse 9.1 from suse 8.2.
> This release of suse of course has the new 2.6 kernel with a few other
> changes.  That is the only change as we used the same tomcat 5.0.27,
> mod_jk2, and apache 2.0.13 configurations from the previous 8.2 server.
> These servers easily do over 100,000 http requests per server per hour.
> Under the new 9.1, we get many more mod_jk2 errors and the frequently
> occurring hanging apache child processes.  This causes high cpu usage and
> causes the server to get slow and stop serving.

Interesting, I moved from 8.2 to 9.2 and after re-creating all the config
files my performance actually increased.

Did you upgrade the servers or do a fresh install of SuSE 9.1?

Sometimes upgrades actually slow the machine down. I always do complete
re-installs. :)

> To attempt a fix, apache was recompiled in 9.1.  Problems still occur.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this performance issue?  Is a recompilation of
> mod_jk2 and/or tomcat needed for them to function correctly in the new suse
> 9.1?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Joe
Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

Hofstadter's Law:
	It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take
Hofstadter's Law into account.