Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by $ubbu <su...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/30 12:19:04 UTC

SSL for trafficserver

Hi,

     We are using apache traffic server for caching http sites for a quite
long time,recently we had to cache https sites .

I took reference of
https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/security/index.en.html

But unable to work it out.

I have a few questions

1.my origin server has CA signed wild card certificate , so what kind of
certificate should I install on traffic server (ex:self signed or ca
signed) and what are the steps to install certificate?

2.what format of the certificate works (.pem or crt or pfx) ?

3.I have one more link
http://www.quobell.nl/blog/apache-traffic-server-ats-as-reverse-proxy-for-outsystems/

Which I tried with both self signed and ca signed certificates but I
encountered the following error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

   Please help me in this process.

Thanks in Advance !!!

--
*Regards*

*Subrahmanya Prasad P*

Re: SSL for trafficserver

Posted by Miles Libbey <ml...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 5:19 AM, $ubbu <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      We are using apache traffic server for caching http sites for a quite
> long time,recently we had to cache https sites .
>
> I took reference of
> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/security/index.en.html
>
> But unable to work it out.
>
> I have a few questions
>
> 1.my origin server has CA signed wild card certificate , so what kind of
> certificate should I install on traffic server (ex:self signed or ca signed)
> and what are the steps to install certificate?

ATS would be acting as a client when talking to your origin server.
So, it would use the machine's CA certificate store (like
https://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html) to verify that your origin's
certificate is valid.

> 2.what format of the certificate works (.pem or crt or pfx) ?

if this is for

> 3.I have one more link
> http://www.quobell.nl/blog/apache-traffic-server-ats-as-reverse-proxy-for-outsystems/
>
> Which I tried with both self signed and ca signed certificates but I
> encountered the following error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

I suppose you are talking about ATS talking to your origin server
here? If so, guess you'd have to add the public key of the origin's
self-signed cert into the CA certificate store.

Re: SSL for trafficserver

Posted by sheng <li...@icloud.com>.
Hi $ubbu,

It is great to know that your case is working.

Any idea how to put the public cert of the origin server into the traffic
server certificate store?

I am using self-signed certificates for both the origin and traffic servers
and would like to enable two way authentication between the traffic server
and origin server. I can get access into the origin with the client.key and
client.cert via curl, but have ssl connection error via traffic server.

Can you share the records.config and ssl_multicert.config for me to take a
look?

Thank you,

Sheng

--