Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Robert Schweikert <rj...@suse.com> on 2012/04/22 14:58:52 UTC

packages for....

Hi,

I am trying to build packages for openSUSE and SLE. It lookks like the
spec file checked into github will mostly work. My problem with getting
started is the "missing" release tarball.

Is there such a beast as a release tarball?
   - If yes, where would I find it?
   - If no, is there a script in the source tree to create one?
            -- If no, what do I need to put in the tarball?

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com
rschweik@ca.ibm.com
781-464-8147

Re: packages for....

Posted by Robert Schweikert <rj...@suse.com>.
Hi David,

On 04/22/2012 10:30 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Robert Schweikert<rj...@suse.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to build packages for openSUSE and SLE. It lookks like the spec
>> file checked into github will mostly work. My problem with getting started
>> is the "missing" release tarball.
>>
>> Is there such a beast as a release tarball?
>>   - If yes, where would I find it?
>>   - If no, is there a script in the source tree to create one?
>>            -- If no, what do I need to put in the tarball?
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> There is a script to generate it, but it's part of the waf rpm build
> script. Essentially you run that within a working source directory and
> builds a tarball and runs rpmbuild -bb cloud.spec against it. So the
> easiest way is to just tar up the source contents, or you can grab any
> of the tarballs from any of the tags here:
> https://github.com/CloudStack/CloudStack/tags

Thanks for the pointer. Got the tarball, now I need some help building
things ;)

> My goal is to get rid of waf (which is currently how RPMs/DEBs are
> built) and end up using ant for build and install. Right now waf does
> a considerable amount of the install piece. I have a working spec to
> build with ant - but haven't gotten all of the waf specific stuff back
> into the any deploy target yet, so the spec while it works looks like
> a mass of cp -a statements.

Well, I am not familiar with ant or waf, thus I'd probably be stuck with
either build/install mechanism.

Trying to add SUSE support into the configure script I am wondering what
the negative side effects are of not having the tomcat expression
language jar file (tomcat6-el-1.0-api.jar)?

We currently do not build this jar file for SLE. Although I can
certainly build it in OBS.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com
rschweik@ca.ibm.com
781-464-8147

Re: packages for....

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Robert Schweikert <rj...@suse.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build packages for openSUSE and SLE. It lookks like the spec
> file checked into github will mostly work. My problem with getting started
> is the "missing" release tarball.
>
> Is there such a beast as a release tarball?
>  - If yes, where would I find it?
>  - If no, is there a script in the source tree to create one?
>           -- If no, what do I need to put in the tarball?

Hi Robert,

There is a script to generate it, but it's part of the waf rpm build
script. Essentially you run that within a working source directory and
builds a tarball and runs rpmbuild -bb cloud.spec against it. So the
easiest way is to just tar up the source contents, or you can grab any
of the tarballs from any of the tags here:
https://github.com/CloudStack/CloudStack/tags

My goal is to get rid of waf (which is currently how RPMs/DEBs are
built) and end up using ant for build and install. Right now waf does
a considerable amount of the install piece. I have a working spec to
build with ant - but haven't gotten all of the waf specific stuff back
into the any deploy target yet, so the spec while it works looks like
a mass of cp -a statements.

--David