Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2021/04/21 21:24:03 UTC

Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design

tl;dr  Can we switch the website over to a temporary static-html
version of the new design, while work on the final antora generated
version continues?
https://cassandra.staged.apache.org/

In February a preview of the new website was announced¹. Melissa Logan
and co have been working hard at getting this ready, and it's looking
amazing!² There is a lot of excitement in getting this design out for
the world party next week. Because the work on the antora build for
the website is still ongoing, a temporary static-html version of the
new website has been prepared so we can go live with the design
without being blocked on the antora work. The antora work associated
with the new design is the build generation tooling that Anthony
Grasso has been hammering away on. There is also the rewrite of the
in-tree documentation content from rst to asciidoc³ that Lorina Poland
has the mammoth task of, but as can be seen from the new design at
cassandra.staged.apache.org this work is intended to land later on
anyway.

Pushing out the static-html website comes with the following consequences
 - it commits us to the antora version
 - it prevents updates to the website until the antora version is finished

This raises the following questions
  A. How long will the static html version be there for?
  B. How impeded will we be during that period?
  C. What will the eventual antora version look like? how will it be
used? will it be easy and intuitive?

I can't answer all these questions, so I hope others can help. But my input is…

B) Simple edits to existing pages will be easy, updating the downloads
page will be possible but a bit clumsy and time-consuming, while
adding blogs and new content will be too much work for value.

C) The antora website generation is ready for early review, ref CASSANDRA-16066
Anthony did a lot of work on the past website in dockerising the build
to make it easier and more reliable. This has been repeated on the new
website and its brand new antora build scripts, for example there's a
`run.sh` script to provide a porcelain api for the typical builds
operations required. The website consists of a top-level website (the
cassandra-website repo), its UI, multiple versions of Cassandra docs
(the docs/ folder in the cassandra repo) which consists of the cql
docs and the nodetool generated docs. It's not the simplest of
websites, full builds can take some time because of it, but Anthony
has provided a number of examples in the ticket to show how to
undertake the different builds you'll typically need. And it's all
prepared to plug into ci-cassandra.a.o so it will be CD to
cassandra.staged.a.o.  If you would like to give it a whirl see this
jira comment that goes through the examples:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16066?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17326637#comment-17326637

regards,
Mick

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rf2b5b7710033350dba5b0ab2e71da03111da28357f96df585b96a708%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E
[2] https://cassandra.staged.apache.org/
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r42802f86d7893c42b5091fe7f7d4b048a63cbe0fd11fadcd120596e3%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

Re: Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design

Posted by Melissa Logan <me...@constantia.io>.
Thank you Mick et al!

If you have feedback on the new site, please let us know here or on Slack
and we will address.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 8:50 AM Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > tl;dr  Can we switch the website over to a temporary static-html
> > version of the new design, while work on the final antora generated
> > version continues?
>

> done.

Melissa Logan (she/her)
Principal, Constantia.io
melissa@constantia.io
Cell: 503-317-8498
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mklogan/> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/Melissa_B2B>

Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/constantia_melissa

Re: Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

> tl;dr  Can we switch the website over to a temporary static-html
> version of the new design, while work on the final antora generated
> version continues?

done.

Re: Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <b....@gmail.com>.
Considering the time it is taking to release 4.0, I believe that any sign
that shows that the project is still alive is nice to have.
So I would be in favor of temporarily using a static-html version of the
new design.

As I am not much involved in the website, I would not be the most impacted
by that change. By consequence, I also understand that people working more
regularly on the website might have a different opinion.

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

> is this version of the web page already "analytics friendly"? In the
> context of https://plausible.cassandra.apache.org/cassandra.apache.org

It is!

it is still getting hacked in, but it will soon be formally part of the design and website generation.

Re: Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.

> FTR i'm +1 to make the switch (early next week).
>
> Generally, this would make me uneasy that a transition like this is at
> the mercy of resources that are being provided outside of the
> community's control. But here I am confident that what is left to do
> on the antora version will be completed. And in the unthinkable and
> improbable situation where it doesn't we can always roll back to the
> current website.

I'm a +1 to the switch. As a risk mitigator, I was hoping we could preserve

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> tl;dr  Can we switch the website over to a temporary static-html
> version of the new design, while work on the final antora generated
> version continues?
> https://cassandra.staged.apache.org/

FTR i'm +1 to make the switch (early next week).

Generally, this would make me uneasy that a transition like this is at
the mercy of resources that are being provided outside of the
community's control. But here I am confident that what is left to do
on the antora version will be completed. And in the unthinkable and
improbable situation where it doesn't we can always roll back to the
current website.

If I don't hear objections before next week I am going to presume we
have a lazy-consensus.

Re: Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
If we're moving to it eventually I don't see any reason we can't test
in production now. +1

Antora built cassandra-website about to be merged (Was: Switching the website to a temporary static html version of the new design)

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

On 2021/04/21 21:24:03, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> tl;dr  Can we switch the website over to a temporary static-html
> version of the new design, while work on the final antora generated
> version continues?
> https://cassandra.staged.apache.org/

The antora build (by Anthony) and the top-level website changes (by Paul Au) are about to get merged.

Anyone interested in reviewing the work, now is your chance (I've been the only non-content reviewer so far, so it would be appreciated). These are the changes that have been getting deployed live since the GA release.

• CASSANDRA-16066 - cassandra-website antora build system
• CASSANDRA-16762 - cassandra-website new design ontop the new antora build

The new in-tree docs are still getting squashed and rebase in the review process, but expected to get merged not long after, expect another mail for final review on it.