Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Bill Venners <bv...@artima.com> on 2007/01/25 05:20:48 UTC

First Code Drop Teetering Above the River

Hi Geir,

I made some progress with ServiceUI. I have the tarball ready, but
I'm not sure what to do with it. I assume this is our JIRA instance:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER

I created an account and there's a link that would allow me to create
a new "issue." Is this submission going to be an "issue"? How is it
that I should submit my tarball?

I had one other question. I'm a bit confused as to why the COPYRIGHT
file should have the old copyright, which was "Copyright 2000-2005
Artima Software, Inc." and the NOTICE file has a new one, "Copyright
2007 The Apache Software Foundation." (Also, since I released v1.1 of
ServiceUI, Artima's name was shortened to Artima, Inc., but the
COPYRIGHT file seems to be intended to let people know what copyright
notice *used* to be on the files. So I put in verbatim what it used
to say.) If you could clarify this for me I'd appreciate it.

Also, should the ServiceUI spec be contributed somehow too? If so, how?

I mailed in the Individual contributor agreement, as well as emailed
you a PDF of it. I'll send in the corporate one once I get a JIRA ID
to put on it.

Thanks.

Bill
----
Bill Venners
President
Artima, Inc.
http://www.artima.com

Re: First Code Drop Teetering Above the River

Posted by Bill Venners <bv...@artima.com>.
Hi Geir,

>> I created an account and there's a link that would allow me to
>> create a new "issue." Is this submission going to be an "issue"?
>> How is it that I should submit my tarball?
>
> Yes.  Add it to the "Contributions" component.

I only see "Web site and infrastructure" and "No Component" under
Components (under the Open Issues tab). My URL seems to be:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER?
report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:openissues-panel

Sorry to need so much hand-holding. I suspect we need to create a new
"Component" named "Contributions," but it isn't obvious to me how to
do that, or perhaps I'm not allowed to do such a thing.

Thanks.

Bill
----
Bill Venners
President
Artima, Inc.
http://www.artima.com

ServiceUI Is In!

Posted by Bill Venners <bv...@artima.com>.
Hi Geir,

Well it wasn't that hard after all, but I managed to make a mistake
anyway. I got ServiceUI in JIRA as an issue, but I accidentally
submitted the zip file for the 1.1a release (the most recent release)
first. It has the file name serviceui-1.1a-src.zip. It is the same
code, but has without the header modifications. I can't delete it,
because I don't have admin privileges. I just attached the actual
file, serviceui.tgz, as a second attachment. Can you delete
serviceui-1.1a-src.zip for me? (Please leave serviceui.tgz in there,
as it is the real deal.) I think it will be confusing if both are in
there. You can see them both here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ManageAttachments.jspa?id=12361242

I assume that 12361242 is the ID I should put on the CCLA. Unless you
instruct me otherwise, I'll both fax and mail it like I did the ICLA.

Thanks.

Bill
----
Bill Venners
President
Artima, Inc.
http://www.artima.com

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Bill Venners <bv...@artima.com>.
Hi Geir,

Posted by Bill Venners <bv...@artima.com>.
Hi Geir,

On Jan 24, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>> I had one other question. I'm a bit confused as to why the
>> COPYRIGHT file should have the old copyright, which was "Copyright
>> 2000-2005 Artima Software, Inc." and the NOTICE file has a new
>> one, "Copyright 2007 The Apache Software Foundation." (Also, since
>> I released v1.1 of ServiceUI, Artima's name was shortened to
>> Artima, Inc., but the COPYRIGHT file seems to be intended to let
>> people know what copyright notice *used* to be on the files. So I
>> put in verbatim what it used to say.) If you could clarify this
>> for me I'd appreciate it.
>
> The idea is that with apache software, there is no copyright
> *assignment*, but rather a copyright license.  So you (or Artima,
> in this case), still holds the copyright to the parts that you
> contribute, and get "credit for that".
>
> Apache (via the project), asserts a "collective copyright" on the
> entire work, analogous to how an editor of an anthology has the
> copyright to the anthology, but the individuals works (say short
> stories or poems) are still copyright the respective authors.

That makes sense.

>> Also, should the ServiceUI spec be contributed somehow too? If so,
>> how?
>
> I dunno :)  Who owns the copyright of that?

Artima, Inc. again. We can figure that out later. I pointed to its
current home from the NOTICE file.

Thanks.

Bill
----

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 24, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Bill Venners wrote:

> Hi Geir,
>
> I made some progress with ServiceUI. I have the tarball ready, but
> I'm not sure what to do with it. I assume this is our JIRA instance:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER
>
> I created an account and there's a link that would allow me to
> create a new "issue." Is this submission going to be an "issue"?
> How is it that I should submit my tarball?

Yes.  Add it to the "Contributions" component.

> I had one other question. I'm a bit confused as to why the
> COPYRIGHT file should have the old copyright, which was "Copyright
> 2000-2005 Artima Software, Inc." and the NOTICE file has a new one,
> "Copyright 2007 The Apache Software Foundation." (Also, since I
> released v1.1 of ServiceUI, Artima's name was shortened to Artima,
> Inc., but the COPYRIGHT file seems to be intended to let people
> know what copyright notice *used* to be on the files. So I put in
> verbatim what it used to say.) If you could clarify this for me I'd
> appreciate it.

The idea is that with apache software, there is no copyright
*assignment*, but rather a copyright license.  So you (or Artima, in
this case), still holds the copyright to the parts that you
contribute, and get "credit for that".

Apache (via the project), asserts a "collective copyright" on the
entire work, analogous to how an editor of an anthology has the
copyright to the anthology, but the individuals works (say short
stories or poems) are still copyright the respective authors.

> Also, should the ServiceUI spec be contributed somehow too? If so,
> how?

I dunno :)  Who owns the copyright of that?

> I mailed in the Individual contributor agreement, as well as
> emailed you a PDF of it. I'll send in the corporate one once I get
> a JIRA ID to put on it.

Great.

geir