Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/09 23:37:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Collections 3.2.2 Based on RC1

Hi all,

in order to provide a work-around for the known remote code exploit via
java de-serialization of malicious InvokerTransformer instances, I would
like to start a vote to release Commons Collections 3.2.2 based on RC1.

I would kindly ask people to review the RC especially wrt the following
topics:

 * OSGI compatibility
 * reproducing the exploits and verifying that it provides protection
 * any kind of regression that this release might create with existing
applications

Notes:

 * the site will not be published, it just serves as a reference to
access the various reports. After a successful vote, the current 4.X
branch site will be updated with relevant information and published.

 * some tests might fail with various IBM JDK 6 JREs, these are known
issues and have been worked-around in the 4.X branch but are not
back-ported to this release.

Collections 3.2.2 RC1 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/
    (svn revision 11092)

Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1115/commons-collections/commons-collections/3.2.2/

Details of changes since 3.2.1 are in the release notes:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/changes-report.html

The tag is here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_3_2_2_RC1
    (svn revision 1713561)

Site:
    http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/

Clirr Report (compared to 3.2.1):

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/clirr-report.html

RAT Report:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/rat-report.html

KEYS:
  https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.

This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 2300
GMT 12-November 2015

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Collections 3.2.2 Based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-11-09, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

> in order to provide a work-around for the known remote code exploit via
> java de-serialization of malicious InvokerTransformer instances, I would
> like to start a vote to release Commons Collections 3.2.2 based on RC1.

+1

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Collections 3.2.2 Based on RC1

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/2015 09:59 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> [...]
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/
>>
>> Clirr Report (compared to 3.2.1):
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/clirr-report.html
>>
>> RAT Report:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/rat-report.html
>
> The single file with unknown license in this report is
> xdocs/style.project.css. It is a one line file that imports
> commons-maven.css). The file has been unchanged since April 2008.
>
> Certainly not a blocker.
>

>> KEYS:
>>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>
>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> I first got a compilation error when attempting a compilation with maven
> 3.3.3 and the default JVM on my system (java8 openJDK, on a Debian
> stretch machine)
> [ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
> [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
> [ERROR]
> /home/luc/tmp/downloaded-RC/dist/source/commons-collections-3.2.2-src-t/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections/map/MultiValueMap.java:[156,19]
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
> org.apache.commons.collections.map.MultiValueMap cannot implement
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
>   return type java.lang.Object is not compatible with boolean
> [ERROR]
> /home/luc/tmp/downloaded-RC/dist/source/commons-collections-3.2.2-src-t/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections/MultiMap.java:[69,19]
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
> org.apache.commons.collections.MultiMap clashes with
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
>   return type java.lang.Object is not compatible with boolean
> [ERROR]
> /home/luc/tmp/downloaded-RC/dist/source/commons-collections-3.2.2-src-t/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections/map/MultiKeyMap.java:[200,19]
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
> org.apache.commons.collections.map.MultiKeyMap cannot implement
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
>   return type java.lang.Object is not compatible with boolean
> [ERROR]
> /home/luc/tmp/downloaded-RC/dist/source/commons-collections-3.2.2-src-t/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections/MultiHashMap.java:[334,19]
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
> org.apache.commons.collections.MultiHashMap cannot implement
> remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
>   return type java.lang.Object is not compatible with boolean
>
> Then I forced maven to run using java7 and it was fine. The pom does
> specify maven.compile.source and maven.compile.target to be 1.2. So
> I don't think it is a real problem with the source code, but rather
> a problem with maven 3.3.3 and openJDK8 (I also do have some problems
> with [math], so I usually force maven to run with Java7).
>
> So I don't think this probelm is a blocker.

yes, I forgot to mention this. Collections 3 can not be compiled with
JDK 8 because the Map interface got a new default method with the same
name as one already existing in MultiValueMap. We had to change this for
Collections 4.

Thomas

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
> [...]

[ERROR]
/home/luc/tmp/downloaded-RC/dist/source/commons-collections-3.2.2-src-t/src/java/org/apache/commons/collections/MultiHashMap.java:[334,19]
remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.commons.collections.MultiHashMap cannot implement
remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
  return type java.lang.Object is not compatible with boolean

Then I forced maven to run using java7 and it was fine. The pom does
specify maven.compile.source and maven.compile.target to be 1.2. So
I don't think it is a real problem with the source code, but rather
a problem with maven 3.3.3 and openJDK8 (I also do have some problems
with [math], so I usually force maven to run with Java7).

So I don't think this probelm is a blocker.

> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 2300

Luc

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

thomas.neidhart@gmail.com>

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/trunk/src/docs/daemon.css

> >> yeah, I did not see the 2 NullComparator files as the problem appears
> >> only on Windows. The same happened for the Collections 4 release, and I
> >> forgot about it.
> >>
> >> @css: wtf, are you serious to vote with -1 because of that and complain
> >> about the RC being messy? I mean, I can handle it if there are real
> >> issues to be fixed, and I had planned to cancel the VOTE anyways to
make
> >> some more adjustments but something like that is just ridiculous. Just
> >> take a look at some other published commons releases and count the
> >> number of RAT errors, even for source files.
> >>

> > Sorry, two wrongs to do make a right. If other Commons components have
made
> > a mess of specific releases in the past, then that's sad. Either the RAT
> > report is clean or it is not. If it is clean, I have to assume that
> > exclusions in the POM for specific files or types of files have been
done
> > with careful consideration and that I can always go digging in the
commit
> > log to see a hopefully useful comment as to why the exclusion was made.
> >
> > Since this is a release to address a security issue, I would have hoped
> > that all details would have been handled with extra care.
> >
> > I'd never get away with a sloppy release at work, and I hope I won't
have
> > to here either.
> >
> > In any case, a -1 is not a veto on a vote thread like it is on a
commit, so
> > this vote may yet pass. It's up to you as the RM to decide what to do.
> >
> > I know that cutting releases is still a pain, we have a lot of
gymnastics,
> > it's not like pushing a button, but that' what we're stuck with for now.
>
> you complain about false positives in a code base that has not been
> released in 8 years

The time is irrelevant IMO. If we cut a release, it should up to today's
standard, again IMO.

and call my work messy.

Don't take it personally. Perhaps read "The four agreements".

I have seen the css alert,
> but thought I can safely ignore it, as it is anyway obsolete (pointing
> to a non-existing css on the apache homepage).
>
> People blame Apache for not providing a fix in 9 months for a known
> exploit and we are arguing about totally unimportant issues.
>
> I explicitly asked for review in areas that *are* important, e.g. OSGI
> compatibility, as the build/release chain has changed quite a lot in the
> last 8 years, and I wanted verification that the 3.2.2 release can
> really be used in all areas.

If OSGi is important to you, then you can create a test that embeds the jar
in a container. It's pain, sure, but it's doable.

But no, we talk about a missing AL header
> in a one line css file.
>
> Frankly, I am pissed because I spent the last days working on this while
> my baby is teething and would have certainly better things to do.

Here we get to the bottom of it, yes, balacing work and family is a
challenge for me as well.

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
I agree that the CSS file does not have an AL header, however it is
only one line so it is at best doubtful that it needs one.
There is little or no evidence of originality / creative expression in
that one line.

The daemon css file on the other hand is longer than the AL header, so
needs the header.

+1 to the release

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Collections 3.2.2 Based on RC1

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi all:

[CANCEL][VOTE] Release Commons Collections 3.2.2 Based on RC1

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 11/09/2015 11:37 PM, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in order to provide a work-around for the known remote code exploit via
> java de-serialization of malicious InvokerTransformer instances, I would
> like to start a vote to release Commons Collections 3.2.2 based on RC1.
>
> I would kindly ask people to review the RC especially wrt the following
> topics:
>
>  * OSGI compatibility
>  * reproducing the exploits and verifying that it provides protection
>  * any kind of regression that this release might create with existing
> applications
>
> Notes:
>
>  * the site will not be published, it just serves as a reference to
> access the various reports. After a successful vote, the current 4.X
> branch site will be updated with relevant information and published.
>
>  * some tests might fail with various IBM JDK 6 JREs, these are known
> issues and have been worked-around in the 4.X branch but are not
> back-ported to this release.
>

> Collections 3.2.2 RC1 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/
>     (svn revision 11092)
>
> Maven artifacts are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1115/commons-collections/commons-collections/3.2.2/
>
> Details of changes since 3.2.1 are in the release notes:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/changes-report.html
>
> The tag is here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_3_2_2_RC1
>     (svn revision 1713561)
>
> Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/
>
> Clirr Report (compared to 3.2.1):
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/clirr-report.html
>
> RAT Report:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/3.2.2/RC1/rat-report.html
>
> KEYS:
>   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 2300
> GMT 12-November 2015
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Hi,

after careful consideration, I decided to cancel this vote to apply the
fix for InvokerTransformer to all classes in the functor package that
are serializable and use reflection.

Additionally, the fix will be applied in a symmetric way, i.e.
serialization of an unsafe class will be blocked as well.

Thomas