Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de> on 2003/07/01 14:11:09 UTC

RE: Proposal: Jakarta should protect community email addresses

Same here. (although I am glad I am not as popular as you! 300???!!!)

I was getting afraid that some servers would just start blocking my
email from this address... but this got to such a dimension that I
am sure all sysadmins must know how it works by now.

There was a time I thought I was really somehow infected, but I am
offline during weekends and I just get too much warnings from
antivirus email filters on Monday.

So, people: just get your machine offline for a while if you use
Outlook and have this kind of doubt.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 08:20, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Unlikely, this is by for not the first virus/worm working that way -
> during the last round I got informed that I was banned from the
> netbeans-dev list (that I had never subscribed to).

I just got one from tcopeland@apache.org.  That guy is a jerk!  He keeps
sending me viruses!

Tom Copeland
tcopeland@apache.org

Re: Proposal: Jakarta should protect community email addresses

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 7/1/03 8:20 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de> wrote:
>
>> but this got to such a dimension that I am sure all sysadmins must
>> know how it works by now.
>
> Unlikely, this is by for not the first virus/worm working that way -
> during the last round I got informed that I was banned from the
> netbeans-dev list (that I had never subscribed to).
>
> I think those antivirus-software should get smarter.  The scanners
> know which virus they've found as they name it in the bounce mails (a
> couple of hundreds here as well by now) - so one should think they'd
> also know that the From header is forged and any bounce is useless.

Exactly!!!  Idiots!!  The Virus uses the anti-virus to do most of its dirty
work.

> Stefan

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Proposal: Jakarta should protect community email addresses

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Stop using Windows and such fears generally subside.