Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/13 13:22:13 UTC

[users@httpd] defaulting to a given page

I am working on a kiosk system.  There is a standard GUI frontend with
apache as the backend.  In theory the user will never be able to
navigate away from the URL's they are suppose to be at, but...  that
is theory;)  I am doing my own mini distribution of apache with my
software.  My question is this:  What do I need to do so that any time
someone tries to browse to any none valid URL, apache takes them back
to the homepage?

Sam

Re: [users@httpd] defaulting to a given page

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 13/03/07, Sam Carleton <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am working on a kiosk system.  There is a standard GUI frontend with
>> apache as the backend.  In theory the user will never be able to
>> navigate away from the URL's they are suppose to be at, but...  that
>> is theory;)  I am doing my own mini distribution of apache with my
>> software.  My question is this:  What do I need to do so that any time
>> someone tries to browse to any none valid URL, apache takes them back
>> to the homepage?
>
> ErrorDocument 404 http://your.host/
>
> See (the somewhat tricky to find in the docs):
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/custom-error.html

I'm sure your kiosk will be more secure than the one I recently found in
a shopping centre in Nantes, in M$IE, right click "open in excel", and
voila, access to their network, the filesystem and in just a few clicks
on the trackball and 20 tedious cut and pastes later had my personal
google homepage my email the weather and flight info up while waiting
for my girlfriend to decide not to buy a couple of pairs of boots. (if
they used a custom SSL and sniffer, i'd be surprised!)

--
Matt

Re: [users@httpd] defaulting to a given page

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/07, Sam Carleton <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on a kiosk system.  There is a standard GUI frontend with
> apache as the backend.  In theory the user will never be able to
> navigate away from the URL's they are suppose to be at, but...  that
> is theory;)  I am doing my own mini distribution of apache with my
> software.  My question is this:  What do I need to do so that any time
> someone tries to browse to any none valid URL, apache takes them back
> to the homepage?

ErrorDocument 404 http://your.host/

See (the somewhat tricky to find in the docs):
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/custom-error.html

--
noodl