Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Son, Goku" <go...@gmx.de> on 2004/07/23 11:40:26 UTC

organizing contents

Hello,

I am new to Lenya and I am very curious how Lenya veterans handle and
orgnize their content in a mass content enviroment.

I have a website with thounds and tenthounds (and more) of contents with
all the assets belonging to them in mind. I can't believe that the
authors and site managers can use the standard Lenya web interface. Is
the site tree not too complex?

I am curious how sites like www.nzz.ch or www.computerworld.ch deal with
this problem (if it is one).

Thanks
--gs

Re: organizing contents

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Peter Shipley wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Additionally, you can define collections of documents:
>>>
>>> o.a.l.cms.publication.Collection
>>> o.a.l.cms.publication.XLinkCollection
>>>

>> Any examples of using Collections floating around ?

BTW, the content of an XLinkCollection looks as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<col:collection
     xmlns:col="http://apache.org/cocoon/lenya/collection/1.0"
     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" id="/index">

<col:document id="/foo/index"
xlink:href="/Users/nobby/apache/src/cocoon-lenya/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/pubs/gallery/content/authoring/foo/index_en.xml"

xlink:show="embed"/>

<col:document id="/foo1/index"
xlink:href="/Users/nobby/apache/src/cocoon-lenya/build/lenya/webapp/lenya/pubs/gallery/content/authoring/foo1/index_en.xml"

xlink:show="embed"/>

</col:collection>

It is very convinient to use them with the xlink transformer.

-- Andreas

Re: organizing contents

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Peter Shipley wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>
>> Additionally, you can define collections of documents:
>>
>> o.a.l.cms.publication.Collection
>> o.a.l.cms.publication.XLinkCollection
>>

> Any examples of using Collections floating around ?

AFAIK not as open source.

I'm currently writing a publication that makes use of it,
I'll make it available as soon as I find an appropriate
version control server (maybe as sub-project of the Lenya
TLP :) )

Here's some snippets:

Document Builder

public class GalleryDocumentBuilder extends DefaultDocumentBuilder {

     /*
      * (non-Javadoc)
      * @see org.apache.lenya.cms.publication.
             DefaultDocumentBuilder#createDocument(
             org.apache.lenya.cms.publication.Publication,
      *      java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String)
      */
     protected DefaultDocument createDocument(
             Publication publication, String area,
             String documentId, String language)
         throws DocumentBuildException {

         DefaultDocument document;

         try {
             if (documentId.endsWith("/index")) {
                 document = new XlinkCollection(
                     publication, documentId, area, language);
             }
             else {
                 document = new GalleryDocument(
                     publication, documentId, area, language);
             }
         } catch (DocumentException e) {
             throw new DocumentBuildException(e);
         }

         return document;
     }
}

And some code which adds a document to a collection:

         Collection overviewDocument = (Collection) getSourceDocument();

         Document document = getGalleryDocument();
         ((Collection) document).save();
         document.getDublinCore().setValue
             DublinCore.ELEMENT_TITLE, title);
         document.getDublinCore().save();

         overviewDocument.add(document);
         this.createdDocument = document;

-- Andreas

Re: organizing contents

Posted by Peter Shipley <ps...@nomensa.com>.

Re: organizing contents

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

>>>I am curious how sites like www.nzz.ch or www.computerworld.ch
>>>deal with this problem (if it is one).
>>
>>they are not based on the site tree. the site tree arguably doesnt
>>scale to these numbers. it would also be possible to split up a
>>large site into many publications (as is the case with university
>>of zurich9
>

> For these sites that do not use sitetree, how are the document's
> relative position to one another determined?

Usually those sites have a fixed URL scheme.

Re: organizing contents

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

--
JP