Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> on 2019/11/08 01:34:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-531: Drop support for Scala 2.11 in Kafka 2.5

Hi all,

I think it's time to simplify our development environment by dropping
support for Scala 2.11. Please take a look at the proposal and
provide feedback:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-531%3A+Drop+support+for+Scala+2.11+in+Kafka+2.5

Ismael

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-531: Drop support for Scala 2.11 in Kafka 2.5

Posted by Lucas Bradstreet <lu...@confluent.io>.
This would be great. Maintaining Scala 2.11 support is reasonably painful.
Dropping support in 2.5 sounds good to me.

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the KIP Ismael.
+1 for me.

-Bill

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Jose Armando Garcia Sancio <js...@confluent.io>.
Hi Ismael,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Charly,

Java versions have a much bigger impact. The Scala version for the Kafka
broker is mostly an implementation detail. The Kafka Streams library for
Scala is not as clear, but this is a recent library and I don't think it
makes sense to bump the major version for the whole project, we should
mention it in the upgrade notes instead.

Apache Kafka 3.0 is likely to happen as part of the KIP-500 (Built-in
consensus) effort and that may take a while. I don't think we should wait
for that to streamline the development process. As stated in the KIP, Scala
2.12 has been out for 3 years so people have had enough time to migrate.

Ismael

Posted by charly molter <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Charly Molter

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-531: Drop support for Scala 2.11 in Kafka 2.5

Posted by David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for the KIP. It is a big +1 from me.

David

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
About time :) Let's do it.