Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Signalness <js...@btinet.net> on 2002/01/10 20:16:18 UTC

tricky password protection

Hello,

I've got a problem that I've been dealing with for a while.  I want to
have two different password files for two different directories and one
is a subdirectory of the other.

Ex:

All files in /opt/bb/www and any subdirectories (except the one
mentioned below) should reference password file A.

/opt/bb/www/subdirB and all subdirectories/files should reference
password file B.

Any suggestions?  I can't seem to get subdirB to be accessible only by
users listed in password file A.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jason Signalness, Systems Administrator
Basin Telecommunications, Inc.

Re: tricky password protection

Posted by Ashwin Kutty <As...@Dal.Ca>.
This is a long way around, but why couldnt you just create two groups..
One group who has access to all the subdir's of /opt/bb/www/<subdir> and
the other group who has access only to /opt/bb/www/subdirB .. This would
entail creating the two groups, adding the users seperately to each
group, adding the allowed users for each directory structure in their
appropriate group and then changing the permissions & ownership on the
directory to be writtable by the group associated with it.

Hope that helps or even makes sense for that matter..

Jason Signalness wrote:

> At 05:36 PM 1/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>  > From: Jason Signalness [mailto:jsignalness@btinet.net]
>>
>>  > I made a confusing typo in the below message.  Sorry... It's
>> corrected
>>  > here.  Subdir "B" is supposed to only be accessible to users
>> listed in
>>  > password file "B".
>>  >
>>  > Jason Signalness wrote:
>>  >
>>  > > Hello,
>>  > >
>>  > > I've got a problem that I've been dealing with for a while.  I
>> want to
>>  > > have two different password files for two different directories
>> and one
>>  > > is a subdirectory of the other.
>>  > >
>>  > > Ex:
>>  > >
>>  > > All files in /opt/bb/www and any subdirectories (except the one
>>  > > mentioned below) should reference password file A.
>>  > >
>>  > > /opt/bb/www/subdirB and all subdirectories/files should reference
>>  > > password file B.
>>  > >
>>  > > Any suggestions?  I can only get subdirB to be accessible by
>>  > > users listed in password file A.
>>  > >
>>  > > Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I've never tried to do this, but I'm guessing it can't be done in your
>> current setup.  What I would do is this:
>>
>> 1. Move subdirB to /opt/bb/subdirB.
>>
>> 2. Add the following to httpd.conf:
>> Alias /subdirB /opt/bb/subdirB
>>
>> 3. Protect each directory separately with <Directory> sections that
>> are no
>> longer nested.
>>
>> Joshua.
>

> That's the problem... I can't move the subdirectory.  Thanks for the
> suggestion though... it would work that way, if I could only relocate
> the subdirectory.
>
> -Jason

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk
because they have to say something." - Plato

Ashwin Kutty
Systems Administrator
Dalhousie University Libraries
(902) 494-2694