Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lionel Liu <li...@apache.org> on 2018/04/13 07:04:23 UTC

Some questions about source release

Hi team,

I have some questions about source release.

I noticed there're *Category A, B and X* licenses, and we can not use cat B
and X in source release.

What's the definition of "use" in source release?

For example, if we only depend on the software in license cat B, not
directly use its source file, only depend on in pom.xml, is it OK?
If we do the same thing with the software in license cat X, is it OK?

I'm confused about this, I don't know in which way to check the permission.
1. For source release only, if we didn't use any source file from other
software, we don't need to announce any license in our license file, no
matter what category it is in.
2. For source release only, if we didn't use any source file from other
software, but we depend on some Cat-X software, so the built JAR file
contains the Cat-X software, even if we don't make any binary release, we
still need to announce it in our license file.

*Which is correct?*

Thanks,
Lionel

Re: Some questions about source release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> What's the definition of "use" in source release?

Bundled / contained or included within the release tar or zip file.

> For example, if we only depend on the software in license cat B, not directly use its source file, only depend on in pom.xml, is it OK?

Yes that would be ok if it not bundled in the source release.

> If we do the same thing with the software in license cat X, is it OK?

No that is not allowed you can’t depend on Category X software in an ASF release. [1] There’s a couple of exceptions i.e. if it’s optional dependancy [2] or from a known list of build tools. [3]

> I'm confused about this, I don't know in which way to check the permission.
> 1. For source release only, if we didn't use any source file from other software, we don't need to announce any license in our license file, no matter what category it is in.

Correct only bundled licenses needs to be mentioned in LICENSE. [4]

> 2. For source release only, if we didn't use any source file from other software, but we depend on some Cat-X software, so the built JAR file contains the Cat-X software, even if we don't make any binary release, we still need to announce it in our license file.

No that would not be allowed, you can’t have a dependancy (with some exceptions noted above) on Category X software. If it was Category B you would need to mention that in the license for the convenience binary release but not in the source release.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional