Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/25 20:13:15 UTC

Re: TomEE 8 Release Notes Preview

Hey Community!

CodeOne (formerly JavaOne) is coming up at the end of October 22-25.  We've been wanting to get TomEE 8 out anyway, but getting something out a week before code one would be an excellent opportunity to make some extra noise.  Knowing us, that'd mean we'd need to start actually rolling and voting on releases pretty soon.

Roberto, I know you were heavy on TomEE 8 release at one point.  Where did things leave off and are there any items people can help with?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Posted by cocorossello <co...@gmail.com>.
It works in JDK 11 if compiled to java 10 and it doesn't work if compiled to
11. I guess that supported with upcoming ASM 7.0. Anyway if it runs in jdk
11 it's more than enough right now (at least for me)

--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: TomEE 8 Release Notes Preview

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Sep 26, 2018, at 1:52 AM, Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID> wrote:
>
> i thought TomEE 8 was going to target Java 8 first?  a yum search on my CentOS server shows isn't even offering Java 11 yet.  is TomEE 8 supposed to support 11 based on some specifications?
>
> although i suppose it would be eye catching to demo Java 11 support at a conference...

Right I think that's an important discussion point.  I was imagining we'd still compile on Java 8, but work out any issues that'd prevent it from running in Java 11.  I don't know if this is possible.

If this is a situation where we'd have to drop Java 8 support or there are complicated or non-optimal trade-offs, then I think we probably need to move ahead with Java 8 and discuss the impact of Java 11 a bit more.

-David

Re: TomEE 8 Release Notes Preview

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
g-validation will be released (vote sent) likely next week - likely without
javadoc love for this iteration until somebody finds time in the week-end.
Then bval 2.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to release snapshot dependencies in a TomEE release (Re: TomEE 8 Release Notes Preview)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Snapshots are ok for that, in particular since there is no strong activity
in tomee these days so the snapshot is "stable". It avoids the mess to fork
a project. It created issues with quartz and  openjpa by the past when we
did so not sure users like that much at the end.

Very worse case we can push snapshots with a particular version like
8.0.0-SNAPSHOT-xxxx to mark them even more.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by cocorossello <co...@gmail.com>.
Oh, now I see that romain just upgraded. I will try with xbean 4.10

Posted by cocorossello <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi, just to share our experience, it works fine with java 11 runtime. If we
compile to java 11 (sourceCompatibility = 11) we get an error with xbean:
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: null
	at
org.apache.xbean.asm6.ClassVisitor.visitNestHostExperimental(ClassVisitor.java:158)
	at org.apache.xbean.asm6.ClassReader.accept(ClassReader.java:541)
	at org.apache.xbean.asm6.ClassReader.accept(ClassReader.java:391)
	at
org.apache.xbean.finder.AnnotationFinder.readClassDef(AnnotationFinder.java:1168)
	at
org.apache.xbean.finder.AnnotationFinder.<init>(AnnotationFinder.java:145)
	at
org.apache.xbean.finder.AnnotationFinder.<init>(AnnotationFinder.java:158)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.FinderFactory$OpenEJBAnnotationFinder.<init>(FinderFactory.java:546)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.FinderFactory.newFinder(FinderFactory.java:267)
	at org.apache.openejb.config.FinderFactory.create(FinderFactory.java:80)

But I think it may work upgrading to asm 6.2.1 in xbean.

(but we don't use bval neither openjpa)

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.
if it is close to ready for a release with 8 then i agree.  is it
possible to start another branch targeting 11 support to see if it is
feasible before conference, or will that duplicate effort if it is split
from main branch?

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk.INVALID>.

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Hi David,
This is our status for TomEE 8:
- We already have a successful green build.- We are waiting for some upstreams projects releases so we can remove the snapshots dependencies from TomEE- Right now, only BVal is missing. Mark and Romain are working on it.
In the meanwhile, I was trying to push for a JWT 1.1 version. I'll follow up in another email.
Cheers,Roberto    On Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 10:27:40 PM GMT+1, Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Well, I think that is open for discussion, I'm not sure I have all the
answers... :)

I'm attempting to get the build going in J11, as that would include
actually running all the tests in the build on Java 11 which would be a
decent confidence boost. So far, that has basically entailed adding some
dependencies:

          <dependency>
              <groupId>javax.xml.bind</groupId>
              <artifactId>jaxb-api</artifactId>
              <version>2.3.0</version>
          </dependency>
          <dependency>
              <groupId>org.glassfish.jaxb</groupId>
              <artifactId>jaxb-runtime</artifactId>
              <version>2.3.0</version>
              <scope>runtime</scope>
          </dependency>
          <dependency>
              <groupId>javax.activation</groupId>
              <artifactId>javax.activation-api</artifactId>
              <version>1.2.0</version>
          </dependency>
          <dependency>
              <groupId>org.jacorb</groupId>
              <artifactId>jacorb</artifactId>
              <version>3.9</version>
          </dependency>
          <dependency>
              <groupId>org.jboss.spec.javax.rmi</groupId>
              <artifactId>jboss-rmi-api_1.0_spec</artifactId>
              <version>1.0.6.Final</version>
          </dependency>

in a couple of places. Ideally I'd still want the build to work with Java
8, so I have done this in a profile. Changeset is here:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/compare/master...jgallimore:j11

I think we need some talk about actually including these dependencies in
the bundle. I was thinking of adding them in bin/ and trying to find some
way of adding them to the classpath if the JDK is 11 or above.

An initial validation of the approach would be welcome. If anyone has
experience in this area, some thoughts and discussion would be good to help
move it forward.

Jon

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.