Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Aaron Meyer <am...@meyertech.net> on 2023/03/20 21:04:26 UTC

Ad-hoc Connections - Recording parameter variable expansion issues...

I've been playing with the new Ad-hoc connections extension and trying to
blend that with the new session recordings extension and having a bit of
trouble with ${HISTORY_UUID} not expanding.

I have built my URI strings as the Ad-hoc documentation notes and added the
connection parameters as noted in the session recordings documentation,
first as their recommended
'ssh://user@host?recording-path=${HISTORY_PATH}/${HISTORY_UUID}'and also as
their alternate method
'ssh://user@host?recording-path=${HISTORY_PATH}?recording-name=${HISTORY_UUI
D}'.

Really though due to URI reserved characters in that we have to URI encode
the strings so this becomes:

'ssh://user@host?recording-path=%24%7BHISTORY_PATH%7D/%24%7BHISTORY_UUID%7D'
and
'ssh://user@host?recording-path%24%7BHISTORY_PATH%7D?recording-name=%24%7BHI
STORY_UUID%7D'

Here's the odd bit - watching the logs I see one of these depending on the
parameters used.

guacd[8]: INFO:     Recording of session will be saved to
"/guacamole_recordings/${HISTORY_UUID}.4".

guacd[29]: INFO:    Recording of session will be saved to
"/guacamole_recordings/${HISTORY_UUID}/recording.1".

So it seems that across the board ${HISTORY_UUID} is not being expanded
properly.

Am I doing something wrong?

In your service,

Aaron Meyer

Re: Ad-hoc Connections - Recording parameter variable expansion issues...

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 5:04 PM Aaron Meyer <am...@meyertech.net> wrote:

> I’ve been playing with the new Ad-hoc connections extension and trying to blend that with the new session recordings extension and having a bit of trouble with ${HISTORY_UUID} not expanding.
>

> I have built my URI strings as the Ad-hoc documentation notes and added the connection parameters as noted in the session recordings documentation, first as their recommended ‘ssh://user@host?recording-path=${HISTORY_PATH}/${HISTORY_UUID}’and also as their alternate method ‘ssh://user@host?recording-path=${HISTORY_PATH}?recording-name=${HISTORY_UUID}’.
>

> Really though due to URI reserved characters in that we have to URI encode the strings so this becomes:
>
> ‘ssh://user@host?recording-path=%24%7BHISTORY_PATH%7D/%24%7BHISTORY_UUID%7D’ and ‘ssh://user@host?recording-path%24%7BHISTORY_PATH%7D?recording-name=%24%7BHISTORY_UUID%7D’
>

> Here’s the odd bit – watching the logs I see one of these depending on the parameters used.
>
> guacd[8]: INFO:     Recording of session will be saved to "/guacamole_recordings/${HISTORY_UUID}.4".
>
> guacd[29]: INFO:    Recording of session will be saved to "/guacamole_recordings/${HISTORY_UUID}/recording.1".
>

> So it seems that across the board ${HISTORY_UUID} is not being expanded properly…
>

> Am I doing something wrong?

Well, I don't know that it's necessarily you doing anything wrong;
however, the connections stored in the JDBC module, and the ones
created via the Ad Hoc module, are created in different directories,
and so there actually is no history of connections created with the Ad
Hoc module. The JDBC module is the only one that actually currently
supports creating and storing connection history. So, this is likely
why the HISTORY_UUID token is not valid for this connection.

Depending on what version of Guacamole you're using, it's possible
that this behavior will change and will start working - there are some
changes that have been committed to the git master branch that are not
in the 1.5.0 release that will allow the JDBC module to track history
for other modules:

https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client/pull/730

So, if you use the git master, you can try this out and see if this works.

That said, I actually found a regression in the master branch caused
by some changes from a different issue, so if you use TOTP, Duo, or
RADIUS with 2FA, you won't want to use the master branch at the moment
until those issues are corrected.

-NIck