Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nani Jon <na...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/27 05:48:48 UTC

.m3u files and .mp3 audio format question.

Hi all:

I have integrated jboss_tomcat bundle with apache 2. Everybody is talking to one another and I am able to access JSPs, Servlets, EJBs, etc. The problem I am having is that I want to be able to creat a playlist for a bunch of .mp3 files which the user selects and then be able to play it. I am able to access the .m3u (playlist files for .mp3 audio files). The MP3 player gets launched and I am able to see the songs list in the playlist portion of the player. But that is all it does. Nothing gets played. Now if I select just one .mp3 file, without creating a playlist, the player gets launched the file is played. Also, when I click on the playlist (.m3u) directly, on the hard drive, it lauches the player and all the files in this list get displayed. Sorry, for the long explanation, I just wanted to clearly state the problem. Do, I need to add something somewhere in the configuration of apache, tomcat, etc.

One more thing, when I select the .mp3 file, the brwoser downloads the file entirely, rather than streaming it, before starting to play it. Is there a way to stop it from a complete download and just start streaming?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Nanijon.

Re: [users@httpd] .m3u files and .mp3 audio format question.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Nani Jon wrote:
> One more thing, when I select the .mp3 file, the
> brwoser downloads the file entirely, rather than
> streaming it, before starting to play it. Is there a
> way to stop it from a complete download and
> just start streaming?

Not really, as this is up to the client. For the browser to start playing
the file directly, it must have a plugin installed. Otherwise, it will
download the file and open it (which means that associated program opens
it). There are workarounds for this. Real media (*.ra), for example, is
usually wrapped in a meta file (*.ram) which holds the URI to the real file.
When the meta file is downloaded, which happens immediatly, it is opened in
RealPlayer which in itself opens the real file. You can probably do similar
things for most of the popular players; WinAmp has its playlists (you should
be able to get it start playing), MS MediaPlayer has its meta files.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: .m3u files and .mp3 audio format question.

Posted by Nani Jon <na...@yahoo.com>.
Danox:
You are correct about my setup. My question is, is there a way in .m3u file to point to the .mp3 file, e.g.: http://my_domain/music/jingle.mp3   I can construct these URLs on the fly and create the .m3u file on the fly as well. Just a thought!
Thanks,
Nanijon.
 danox wrote:can you explain where all this is supposed to happen?

I am guessing it goes like this:

you have apache hosting some mp3 files, and m3u files and displays links
directly to these files on a web page.

web client clicks on link to an m3u file.

m3u is downloaded and launched by browser, loads up the clients mp3 player.

is this correct?

if so, then of course nothing will happen, since the client does not
have the mp3 files that the m3u describes.
The same would ocurr if you just copied the m3u to your own computer.

I am wondering what this query has to do with tomcat?
if you want to stream mp3s to people you should look at something like
shoutcast (look it up).

Posted by danox <da...@cucurucho.org>.