Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Lars-Owe Ivarsson <La...@its.uu.se> on 1997/02/12 17:50:01 UTC

mod_negotiation/170: Possible bug WRT default language vs. language negotioation

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Wed Feb 12 12:00:01 PST 1997

>Number:         170
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       Possible bug WRT default language vs. language negotioation
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
http://www.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html says:

For example, consider the situation with three variants:

      foo.en.html, language en
      foo.fr.html, language en
      foo.html, no language

The meaning of a variant with no language is that it is always acceptable to
the browser. If the request Accept-Language header includes either en or fr (or
both) one of foo.en.html or foo.fr.html will be returned. If the browser does
not list either en or fr as acceptable, foo.html will be returned instead.

I tried to create files foo.html.de, foo.html.en, and foo.html.  Using Netscape
(Mac version, should it matter) asking for 'de' (german) as prefered language,
this returns foo.html.  If I remove foo.html, foo.html.de will be returned as
expected.  (Using foo.en.html, foo.de.html, and foo.html will also return
foo.html if it exists, and give an error otherwise.)  It appears to me that the
existance of a file foo.html as default means that the server always sends that
file, regardless of whether the client asks for a particular language or not.
Have I missed something?

I'm using Apache 1.2b6 with the four patches applied.

A HowTo guide explaning how to set up links within a multiple language server
would be nice.  It appears that the co-existance with MS IE 3 is particulary
difficult.

>How-To-Repeat:
http://www.its.uu.se/foo

contains:

 ll foo
total 16
-rw-r--r--   1 root     web         3355 Feb 12 17:43 foo.html
-rw-r--r--   1 root     web          579 Feb 12 17:05 foo.html.de
-rw-r--r--   1 root     web         3355 Feb 12 17:05 foo.html.en
$