Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Phillip B Oldham <ph...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/24 11:47:25 UTC

Monitoring thrift server uptime?

Is it possible to monitor a thrift server's uptime using something
like monit[1] or nagios[2]? I understand it would be possible for
servers running over HTTP, but is it possible for standard servers?

[1] mmonit.com/monit/
[2] www.nagios.org/

--
Phillip B Oldham
phillip.oldham@gmail.com

Re: Monitoring thrift server uptime?

Posted by John Doe <jd...@yahoo.com>.
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Phillip B Oldham wrote:
>  Is it possible to monitor a thrift server's uptime using something
> like monit[1] or nagios[2]? I understand it would be possible for
> servers running over HTTP, but is it possible for standard servers?
> [1] mmonit.com/monit/
> [2] www.nagios.org/

Nagios Remote Plug-ins Execution daemon (NRPE)
You set it up on target servers and it will do checks for nagios...
For the plugin, if one does not exist yet, copy a simple one and adapt it to your needs.
It is not too complex (apart from nagios complexity).
If you skip all the command line options handling, it is basicaly:
- Return codes: 0 (OK), 1 (WARNING), 2 (Critical), 3 (Unknown)
- Status line: TEXT|'label'=value;[warn];[crit];[min];[max] 'label'=value;[warn];[crit];[min];[max] ...
And to graph, you have the PNP extension...

JD

Re: Monitoring thrift server uptime?

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.
Yes.  It ends up being more of a Nagios question, but if you implement
something like Ping() as in the fb303 API on your server side, and implement
a Nagios plugin [1] [2] that is a Thrift client you would have your
solution.  If you have more complicated uptime requirements than just
"Pingable" they can be implemented likewise.
Michael

[1] http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html
[2]
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-nagios/?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=HP&ca=dgr-lnxw16nagioswrite#N10117