Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/27 18:30:13 UTC

[Digester] next release roadmap

Hi all guys,
first of all thanks everybody mentored me during the path of the 2.1
release, especially Rahul and Sebastian, always ready to provide a
valid help, I appreciate it very much :)

I'd like to discuss with you what I'd like to do in the next future:

 * fix the site issues: we have broken links that have to be fixed;
 * auto-loading the annotations digester loader by scanning the
classpath, filtering classes with a sofisticate filtering method I
already proposed (with no success) time ago for [Lang]
 * JSON support: I already did an experiment[1] that allows using the
Digester to parse JSON structures and map to beans (and it's faster
than Google-Gson :P)

At that point I'm open to discuss with you what are your thoughts
about the last 2 points, so we can start put black on white and
prototyping code.
Many thanks in advance, have a nice day,
Simo

[1] http://digester-annotations.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/json/

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [Digester] next release roadmap

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
and sorry again to be late, but unfortunately I've some work that has
to be deployed asap that's driving me crazy :P

About the site fix, I'd really appreciate if someone could help me,
for next releases I'll move the guide under a proper dir so it will be
easier to prevent errors. Thanks in advance!

About the classpath stuff: my proposal partially failed[1] on [Lang],
I thought about giving new life to [Discovery], WDYT? Are you
interested enough on it to help me on propose that new stuff in one of
two?

Finally, the JSON stuff: I intend, like I did for the 'annotations'
package, adding an external package, without modifying the original
code; moreover the Apache UIMA community is already using that
extension[2] (I donated them time ago).

Just let me know :) Have a nice day,
Simo

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ims6cwxg2skjfwib
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/trunk/AlchemyAPIAnnotator/src/main/java/org/apache/uima/alchemy/digester/json

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 September 2010 15:46, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Simone Tripodi
>> <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all guys,
>>> first of all thanks everybody mentored me during the path of the 2.1
>>> release, especially Rahul and Sebastian, always ready to provide a
>>> valid help, I appreciate it very much :)
>>>
>>> I'd like to discuss with you what I'd like to do in the next future:
>>>
>>>  * fix the site issues: we have broken links that have to be fixed;
>> <snip/>
>>
>> Idea was to setup svn:externals on src/site/xdoc along these lines:
>>
>>  commons-digester-2.1
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/digester/tags/DIGESTER_2_1/src/site/xdoc/
>>
>> Would've been better if there was a "guide" directory so we don't pull
>> in non-guide xdoc. For old releases, we have previously only
>> maintained these three items rather than entire sites: Guide, Javadoc,
>> Release Notes.
>>

> So is the idea to rebuild the current set of guides etc. with the
> current menu items?

<snip/>

Yes, that way the LHS site menu continues to work for older release
guides as well as SVN latest guide as everything gets built into the
m2 site correctly.

-Rahul

Re: [Digester] next release roadmap

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 September 2010 15:46, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Simone Tripodi
> <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all guys,
>> first of all thanks everybody mentored me during the path of the 2.1
>> release, especially Rahul and Sebastian, always ready to provide a
>> valid help, I appreciate it very much :)
>>
>> I'd like to discuss with you what I'd like to do in the next future:
>>
>>  * fix the site issues: we have broken links that have to be fixed;
> <snip/>
>
> Idea was to setup svn:externals on src/site/xdoc along these lines:
>
>  commons-digester-2.1
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/digester/tags/DIGESTER_2_1/src/site/xdoc/
>
> Would've been better if there was a "guide" directory so we don't pull
> in non-guide xdoc. For old releases, we have previously only
> maintained these three items rather than entire sites: Guide, Javadoc,
> Release Notes.

So is the idea to rebuild the current set of guides etc. with the
current menu items?

Javadoc is easy to deal with because there are no site menus, so one
can just upload each to its own directory.
One could perhaps do something similar with the guides by simplifying
the menus to eliminate any variable content.
I.e. once within the guide, there would only be menu links within it
or to fixed top-level pages.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.