Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/19 10:06:03 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Arrow 11.0.0 - RC0

Hi,

I would like to propose the following release candidate (RC0) of Apache
Arrow version 11.0.0. This is a release consisting of 423
resolved GitHub issues[1].

This release candidate is based on commit:
f10f5cfd1376fb0e602334588b3f3624d41dee7d [2]

The source release rc0 is hosted at [3].
The binary artifacts are hosted at [4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11].
The changelog is located at [12].

Please download, verify checksums and signatures, run the unit tests,
and vote on the release. See [13] for how to validate a release candidate.

See also a verification result on GitHub pull request [14].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Arrow 11.0.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this as Apache Arrow 11.0.0 because...

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/milestone/1?closed=1
[2]:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/f10f5cfd1376fb0e602334588b3f3624d41dee7d
[3]: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/arrow/apache-arrow-11.0.0-rc0
[4]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/almalinux-rc/
[5]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/amazon-linux-rc/
[6]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/centos-rc/
[7]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/debian-rc/
[8]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/java-rc/11.0.0-rc0
[9]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/nuget-rc/11.0.0-rc0
[10]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/python-rc/11.0.0-rc0
[11]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/ubuntu-rc/
[12]:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/f10f5cfd1376fb0e602334588b3f3624d41dee7d/CHANGELOG.md
[13]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/How+to+Verify+Release+Candidates
[14]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/33751

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Arrow 11.0.0 - RC0

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I haven't run the verification tasks locally myself but I wanted to make
people aware of this issue: https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/15054

Which is causing some issues on some of the verification tasks.

Thanks,
Raúl

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Arrow 11.0.0 - RC0

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

The current status of the post-release tasks. I will follow up on them.
Thanks everyone!

- [done] Update the released milestone Date and set to "Closed" on GitHub
- [done] Merge changes on release branch to maintenance branch for patch
releases
- [done] Add the new release to the Apache Reporter System
- [done] Upload source
- [done] Upload binaries
- [done] Update website
- [done] Upload JavaScript packages
- [done] Upload C# packages
- [done] Upload wheels/sdist to pypi
- [done] Publish Maven artifacts
- [done] Update MSYS2 package
- [done] Bump versions
- [done] Update tags for Go modules
- [done] Update docs
- [done] Publish release blog posts
- [done] Announce the new release
- [in-progress] Update Homebrew packages
- [in-progress] Update vcpkg port
- [] Upload RubyGems --> waiting for homebrew
- [] Update Conan recipe
- [] Update version in Apache Arrow Cookbook --> was waiting conda
- [] Remove old artifacts

I will need help with the following (and might need help with some of the
above, I'll ask if needed):
- [] Make the CPP PARQUET related version as "RELEASED" on JIRA
- [] Start the new version on JIRA for the related CPP PARQUET version
- [done] Update conda recipes
- [] Update R packages

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dewey Dunnington <de...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

I have tested both SOURCES and BINARIES successfully with:
TEST_DEFAULT=0 TEST_SOURCE=1 dev/release/verify-release-candidate.sh 11.0.0
0
TEST_DEFAULT=0 TEST_WHEELS=1 dev/release/verify-release-candidate.sh 11.0.0
0
TEST_DEFAULT=0 TEST_BINARIES=1 dev/release/verify-release-candidate.sh
11.0.0 0
with:
  * Python 3.10.6
  * gcc (Ubuntu 11.3.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.3.0
  * NVIDIA CUDA cuda_11.5.r11.5/compiler.30672275_0
  * openjdk 17.0.5 2022-10-18
  * ruby 3.0.2p107 (2021-07-07 revision 0db68f0233) [x86_64-linux-gnu]
  * dotnet 6.0.202
  * Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

From my understanding the identified issues are not release blockers,

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Rok Mihevc <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (non binding)

I had some verification tasks failing, but I guess it's normal and
acceptable for a RC.

I will take a deeper look during the weekend.

Regards
JB

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Verified sources, binaries on Ubuntu Linux 18.04/x86_64:

env USE_CONDA=1 ARROW_TMPDIR=$(pwd)/tmp ./dev/release/verify-release-candidate.sh 11.0.0 0

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
+1

Posted by Raúl Cumplido <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Antoine,

It seems dotnet 7.0.0 was released in November and we never added new tasks
for it [1].

I've tested locally on Ubuntu 22.04 with dotnet 6.0.202 successfully but
can reproduce the same issue when I upgrade to 7.0.102.

I've created an issue for it [2].

Thanks,
Raúl

[1] https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/7.0