Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2015/03/25 19:39:03 UTC

The state of IPv6 support

Hi,

Lack of IPv6 support is the number one thing I'm being harassed about my Cloudstack installs nowadays; concerning specifically VM IPv6 connectivity in Basic and SG zones, but it is a problem in all zones.

We've discussed hacks how to get some IPv6 support in the past, but that's essentially unsupported, unmanaged, uncontrolled, no firewall/sg for it etc. Has anything changed in the meanwhile?

Is anybody working on this, is anybody planning on working on this? Is there even a very rough estimate for it, something I can tell people, like "you'll have it within the year" etc?

Is there anything us non-coders can do to help with this feature?

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: The state of IPv6 support

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi,

I recently discussed this with Funs as we want this as well. As a first step, we could build 6to4 support on the VPC. Everything behind it can then still be IPv4 while stuff is reachable over IPv6 as well.

This is a first step only. In the end we need native support for IPv6 within CloudStack as you described. As that is a big project, splitting it up might be wise.

Would this help?

Regards,
Remi

Sent from my iPhone

>>> www.nux.ro

Re: The state of IPv6 support

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 26-03-15 08:39, Nux! wrote:
> Hi Wido,
>
> I guess at this particular time what I'd need is just IPv6 supported in Basic/Adv+sg zone.
> I imagine this would be the easier to do than for a full blown Advanced zone with VPNs, LBs etc.

VPN is quite hard with IPv6 since you usually would use IPSec. And IPv6
uses global routeable addresses, local prefixes are something which you
should try to avoid.

> Ideally we should have the same amount of support for it as for IPv4: dhcpv6, security groups v6, additional IPs.
> Would merely duplicating the code for IPv4 be a possible way forward?

No, that won't work. But one thing that needs to happen is remove a lot
of IPv4-only code. A lot of checks always assume a address is IPv4.

But we should start with handing out addresses using DHCPv6. That is the
easiest part I think.

>>> www.nux.ro

Re: The state of IPv6 support

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.