Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@godik.com on 2005/11/21 08:59:43 UTC

loose ends: is deployment plan a secret?

An idea of including deployment plan into configuration was kicked around for some time now. I think that each configuration should include deployment plan.

By itself, deployment plan is not a secret and as such it should not contain sensitive data that we do not want to disclose (passwords etc).

So the idea would be not to hide deployment plan, but to externalize sensitive data.

One way to externalize sensitive data is to have a "vault" gbean that can implement different qos vis keeping a secret, and have a reference to this vault  in the deployment plan together with some alias to the secret in the vault:

<reference name="vault">bla</reference>
<attribute name="alias">myconfig.id.password</attribute>

Vault by itself can provide different qos. The simpliest case is to have a file with all secrets in it and to install it in a secure location. One step up would be to assign a master key to the geronimo server at the deployment time, put it in a secure location and use it to encrypt all other secrets. And so on...

If there is enough interest in this I can put it together

Simon

Re: loose ends: is deployment plan a secret?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
This seems like a good idea to me, but I'm missing a lot of the picture
about how it will work and what else is needed.

Lets take a db pool as an example, with a username/password  to get the
connections.  We store the password in the safe.  So, when the db pool
gbean (connection manager) starts, it needs to access the safe to get
the password.  How does the safe trust the gbean?  The only way I can
see is if the server is started as some kind of admin user, using a
credential of some kind such as a command line password.   I've thought
for a long time that we needed "gbean permissions" of some kind.  Would
accessing the safe require permissions or be a login-type operation?
With enough permissions, do we need a safe at all?

I'd like to know more :-)

thanks
david jencks