Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/21 18:14:05 UTC

proposal for new l10n workflow

I have finally finished my proposal for a new workflow.

please have a look at:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:L10procNew.pdf

I have tried to implement the comments (on the document describing the
existing workflow) from the community, and at the same time avoid
non-essential themes that seems to open discussions :-)

The workflow I have proposed is based on my knowledge from large
organizations, so I am sure it can work....but I do not know if the
community as such want it.

It has advantages for everybody:
- developers dont really see a change
- our release manager saves a lot of manual work
- offline translators become a lot closer connected to the process, without
being bugged down with technical details.

My shoulders are pretty big, so please give me your opinions and
suggestions for improvement (I am here to learn, NOT to educate). Please
remember one thing the big silent majority does not count here.

I post this mail here to give developers a change to speak their mind, it
is also posted on l10n, for the more translators who are of course heavily
influenced.

Once we have agreed to the content, I will undertake the development, but I
do need heavy support from a committer (mostly to commit code and publish
php/web pages).

happy reading.
JanI

Re: proposal for new l10n workflow

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your long and informative answer, I read it with a
positive attitude and will just make one comment, it is hard to be new
especially with the state of documentation we have. I will in the future
make a lot less noise.

I will work your comments into my proposal, and in general I agree it is
better to extend existing tools than to make new ones.

There is however one misunderstanding (probably due to my formulations)
that I need to correct, the l10n upload/download feature was NOT to
circumvent the system, but to allow contributors to upload files without
having to go through private mail adresses/bugzilla etc.

Thanks for using time on my proposal.
Jan.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Just to keep you all informed, that project plan has been updated and
extended according to the latest request for change.

Jan.

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO/workPlan

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
I just double checked:

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
I am guilty.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 22 October 2012 00:01, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM, jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have finally finished my proposal for a new workflow.
> >
> > please have a look at:
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:L10procNew.pdf
> >

> I'll take a closer look, but I did browse it quickly and had one question:

Hope you like what you read.

> Do we know more about what it means to have Pootle access Subversion?
> Does this need read/write access?  If so, what SVN account is it
> using?  Is it using credentials from the current logged in Pootle
> user?  Does it need to store SVN login credentials?

According to the home page (I have no personal experience) will pootle use
the account you use on pootle
Yes it requires read/write access, otherwise you cannot commit your
changes, and would again have manual steps.

Andrea told me that you might meet the developer 4-5 november.

> Since Pootle and SVN are both ASF-wide services, managed by the
> Infrastructure team, we'll need to coordinate this carefully.
> Security concerns will weigh heavily on what is possible here.

I totally agree, but the real question is: how many are using pootle to
translate compared to the total number. Everybody have been telling me,
that most translation is done offline..so that is where I have put my
emphasis.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.