Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu <og...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/25 13:22:12 UTC

Problem scanning mails with Spam Assassin on Postfix

Hello

I have a spam assassin server setup on postfix and I can scan mails from mail clients configured with the server as the smtp outgoing settings but when I change the settings to smtp.mail.yahoo.com the mail is sent without being scanned by the server and there is no log of the transcation in /var/log/maillog. The spam server is sitting in front of a firewall that redirects all port 25 traffic through it. Pleas I need assistance urgently.

Re: Problem scanning mails with Spam Assassin on Postfix

Posted by Raul Dias <ra...@dias.com.br>.
On 08/27/2010 11:54 AM, Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu wrote:

> /C:\Documents and Settings\cee>telnet smtp.mail.yahoo.com 25
> Connecting To smtp.mail.yahoo.com...Could not open connection to the
> host, on port 25: Connect failed/

I get connection failures and timeout to some yahoo servers from time to
time.
Its not all yahoo servers, but random ones.

Never cared to check deeper. Just assume they need maintance as others
yahoos are fine in the meanwhile.

-Raul Dias

Re: Problem scanning mails with Spam Assassin on Postfix

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On fre 27 aug 2010 17:15:40 CEST, Michael Scheidell wrote

> side affect is you can't run a smtp server either.

what stopping him from add relayhost=his.isp.tld into postfix with a
smtp_sasl_password_maps ? :)

--
xpoint http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Re: Problem scanning mails with Spam Assassin on Postfix

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu wrote:

> Hello Micheal,
> But I am the ISP here. I provide internet access for subscribers and I have  redirected their smtp port 25 traffic through the smtp server, but the response sent earlier when I want to connect as a test subscriber. which forum can assist?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu

If you are the ISP then you should have control over the networking. This
sounds like a problem with your networking or a problem with what ever
mechanism you are using to do that "I have redirected their smtp port"

First you should search out what ever support group there is for the
mechanism that you are using to do that smtp port redirection.
That is not a standard smtp server component and would need to be set up
carefuly, it sounds like it isn't working as expected.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Problem scanning mails with Spam Assassin on Postfix

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On fre 27 aug 2010 17:56:05 CEST, Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu wrote

> Hello Micheal,
> But I am the ISP here. I provide internet access for subscribers and
> I have  redirected their smtp port 25 traffic through the smtp
> server, but the response sent earlier when I want to connect as a
> test subscriber. which forum can assist?

if you are an isp why ask for help then ?, i think you need to talk to
an isp to be one :)

did you get some pappers that says how to setup explore to send mail ?

what servers or host password is mentined in it ?

no i dont need a mail account but you can use that in postfix to get
around isp limits, also if you are planning to auth more then one user
all you need is password and hostname with a working sasl auth account
not on your server

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
Go and ask on the postfix users mailing list. Joining details are on the
Postfix website.

Martin

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.

Posted by Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu <og...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Micheal,

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.

Posted by Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu <og...@yahoo.com>.
Hello
I trace route to the smtp.mail.yahoo.com and get the IP address of the server along the way as one of the hops but when I tried telneting to smtp.mail.yahoo.com I get the following

On 25/08/10 12:22, Cimoni Enwis Ogwujiakwu wrote:

Hello

I have a spam assassin server setup on postfix and I can scan mails from mail clients configured with the server as the smtp outgoing settings but when I change the settings to smtp.mail.yahoo.com the mail is sent without being scanned by the server and there is no log of the transcation in /var/log/maillog. The spam server is sitting in front of a firewall that redirects all port 25 traffic through it. Pleas I need assistance urgently.
It sounds like some part of your firewall redirection isn't working. There are three possibilities that come to mind:

1) The clients are using another port to contact smtp.mail.yahoo.com (465 or 587, for example)
2) The firewall doesn't do what you think (e.g. it doesn't match those source addresses)
3) The clients aren't going through the firewall.

For (1) Checking ports in use is trivial.
For (2) try telnetting to some server on port 25 from behind the firewall and see who HELOs
For (3) try a traceroute from one client to smtp.mail.yahoo.com to see if the firewall is one of the hops.

Hope that helps.

Dominic

Re: Problem scanning mails with Spam Assassin on Postfix

Posted by Dominic Benson <do...@lenny.cus.org>.