Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/04 12:52:11 UTC

JcrInstall

Hi all,

Inspired by Peter Kriens' FileInstall [1] tool, I created JcrInstall.
This tool works almost exactly as the original FileInstall with the
following differences:

   (1) It operates on JCR repository
   (2) It uses JCR Observation instead of polling
   (3) It just has a single instance, thus supporting a single location
only

Other than that if works the same:

   * Storing JAR files installes contained bundles
   * Updating JAR files updates the bundles
   * Removing JAR files unsinstalls bundles
   * Storing or updated configuration files (extension is ".cfg")
     creates or updates ConfigurationAdmin configuration
   * Removed configuration files deletes configuration

The full path of JAR files with a prefix of "jcrinstall:" is used as the
Bundle location. The name (without the path and the .cfg extension) of
configuration files is used to designate the configuration PID. The name
is turned into factory and configuration PID in the same way as for
FileInstall.

I propose to add this to Sling. WDYT ?

Alternatively, as it touches generic OSGi rather than Sling as a Web
Application Framework I could imagine adding it to the Apache Felix
project. WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

[1] http://www.aqute.biz/Code/FileInstall

Re: JcrInstall

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Dec 4, 2007 12:52 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I propose to add this to Sling. WDYT ?...

It's certainly a useful thing, +1 for adding it to Sling or Felix.

> ...Alternatively, as it touches generic OSGi rather than Sling as a Web
> Application Framework I could imagine adding it to the Apache Felix
> project. WDYT ?...

That would be fine if the Felix project accepts that.

-Bertrand

Re: JcrInstall

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
The source of JcrInstall is at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sling/whiteboard/jcrinstall

Regards
Felix

Re: JcrInstall

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Cool stuff! And +1 to try to contribute it to the Felix project.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: JcrInstall

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Re: JcrInstall

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
This is really cool!

Whether you want to add it to Felix or to Sling is tricky, because it
would have a right to be in both but I would argue that Felix is the
better place since it is independent from Sling. Either way, great
work and +1 to make it available at either Felix or Sling.

regards,

Karl

karlpauls@gmail.com