Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Likitha Shetty <li...@citrix.com> on 2013/09/30 07:54:55 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Support OVA files with multiple disks for templates and uploaded volumes in VMWare

Hi,

Currently, Cloudstack only supports Template creation based on OVA files containing a single disk. If a user creates a template from a OVA file containing more than 1 disk and launches an instance using this template, only the first disk is attached to the new instance and other disks are ignored. Similarly with uploaded volumes, attaching an uploaded volume that contains multiple disks to a VM will result in only one VMDK to being attached to the VM.

This behavior needs to be improved in VMWare to support OVA files with multiple disks for both templates and uploaded volumes. For e.g. If a user creates a template from a OVA file containing more than 1 disk and launches an instance using this template, the first disk should be attached to the new instance as the ROOT disk, volumes should be created based on other VMDK disks in the OVA file and should be attached to the instance.

I will soon propose a Functional Spec for this improvement.

The corresponding JIRA ticket can be found at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4757 .

Thanks,
Likitha

RE: [PROPOSAL] Support OVA files with multiple disks for templates and uploaded volumes in VMWare

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Likitha,

This is not of value to VmWare only.  We should make sure it works or has plugin points for all of the hypervisors.  In general, how we support this today is through hypervisor capabilities to determine during orchestration and then on the Resource for each hypervisor, it can determine if it can support commands introduced for a functionality.

--Alex

Posted by Likitha Shetty <li...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Likitha Shetty <li...@citrix.com>.