Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu> on 2019/08/31 23:16:01 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Rya (incubating) as a TLP

The Apache Rya (incubating) community would like to start the discussion on
general@ about graduating to a top level project.

-We completed all the tasks documented in the status file [1]
-The name Apache Rya was approved by the Brand Management COmmittee [2]
-We had four Apache releases with three different release managers
-Our community grew during incubation and we learned to function following
the Apache Way
-We discussed on the dev@ list about our readiness for graduation [3], we
voted [4], and the result of the vote was positive [5]
-We went through the process of assessing our project against the Apache
Maturity model [6] and we believe we are ready to graduate and continue to
grow as a Top Level Project.
-We worked on creating a graduation resolution and we selected a Chair [7].
The draft resolution is appended below.

Please provide your opinion on whether Rya is ready to graduate to a top
level project.

Thank you,
Adina, on behalf of Apache Rya (incubating) community

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/rya.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-135
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/dd09c2060a754e69e093404e0d57239a555ab5e7d702cf76fd02f820@%3Cdev.rya.apache.org%3E
[4]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/10f04a55e0f6d4c09d3ffeac487b0bf309eb8e5058f950778214faeb@%3Cdev.rya.apache.org%3E
[5]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1664b17d8a6bf3d3e4e5f28382bc360fe974f1db8f880c6d97ff278@%3Cdev.rya.apache.org%3E
[6]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RYA/Apache+Maturity+Evaluation+for+Rya
[7]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3007163bc654df45109c38b4d9a53c7b2137ad0fef660429938a282b@%3Cprivate.rya.apache.org%3E

Proposed graduation resolution:

Establish the Apache Rya Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to scalable storage, retrieval, and analysis of RDF data.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Rya Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Rya Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to scalable storage,
retrieval, and analysis of RDF data; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Rya" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of
the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Rya Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the
scope of responsibility of the Apache Rya Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Rya Project:

 * Aaron Mihalik     <mi...@apache.org>
 * Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@apache.org>
 * Billie Rinaldi    <bi...@apache.org>
 * Caleb Meier       <ca...@apache.org>
 * David Lotts       <dl...@apache.org>
 * David Rapp        <dn...@apache.org>
 * Jennifer Brown    <jb...@apache.org>
 * Josh Elser        <el...@apache.org>
 * Puja Valiyil      <pu...@apache.org>
 * Roshan Punnoose   <ro...@apache.org>
 * Steve R Wagner    <sw...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Adina Crainiceanu be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Rya, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Rya Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Rya podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Rya podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Rya (incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Thank you all for comments. Are there more issues to discuss before
starting a vote? We updated the community page on the website as it was
suggested, so if there are no other issue, we would like to start a vote
(separate email).

Thank you very much,
Adina

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
As one of their mentors, the community as been doing a great job of
steering themselves for some time now (year+). I've prodded them a bit
to start this process, and I'm super excited to see them working towards
graduation now.

They have my +1

- Josh

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Hi,
You are right, we'll update the team page to include PPMC status. I created
a JIRA ticket for this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-521
All current committers are PPMC members, but that was not always true in
the past and might not be true in the future.

Thank you,
Adina

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Hi,