Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jan Vissers <Ja...@cumquat.nl> on 2008/03/04 01:53:50 UTC

T5.0.10 / OC4J10.1.3+ without maven

Hi,

Comparing wicket and T5 for our next stack selection; giving T5 a final go
on OC4J 10.1.3+ (also 11g) - without maven.

Simplest of projects:

WEB-INF/web.xml contains:

   <context-param>
      <param-name>tapestry.app-package</param-name>
      <param-value>com.cumquatit.tapestry.tutorial</param-value>
   </context-param>
   <filter>
      <filter-name>app</filter-name>
      <filter-class>org.apache.tapestry.TapestryFilter</filter-class>
   </filter>
   <filter-mapping>
      <filter-name>app</filter-name>
      <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
   </filter-mapping>

WEB-INF also contains a file:
   Start.tml

Package com.cumquatit.tapestry.pages contains:
   Start.java

Packaged in .WAR and deployed successfully. Trying:
   http://riederhof31:8888/hellotap/       => 403 Forbidden
   http://riederhof31:8888/hellotap/start/ => 404 Not Found
   http://riederhof31:8888/hellotap/start  => 404 Not Found

Although I checked Tomcat deployment notes, I can't see anything wrong
with my deployment. Bottomline; is there anybody out there in the world
already doing stuff with T5 on OC4J, or is everybody just using Jetty?

Getting T5 to work on OC4J will be critical for our decision to keep
Tapestry in our web development stack. We have been users of T3 and T4 for
a couple of years now, of which T4 had also a number of (Hivemind related)
issues on OC4J.

Hoping somebody can chime in!
Thanks,
-J.

Re: T5.0.10 / OC4J10.1.3+ without maven

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry that I don't have direct experience with OC4J.

My first step would be to use Jetty Launcher (or equivalent) to verify
that the application is built correctly before trying to track down
what horrid things Oracle has been doing.

The theory is that Tapestry is servlet-container agnostic and all
servlet containers properly implement the spec.  As you can guess,
this is partly fantasy, and we've patched a few things in Tapestry for
Tomcat and WebLogic.  Jetty is the gold standard for performing as
expected.

The most likely cause is that OC4J's way of exposing classpath
resources packaged in WEB-INF/classes is not compatible with Tapestry.
 There is not a standard on how the servlet class loader should react,
nor is there a proper API for scanning for files (including classes),
which is something Tapestry 5 must do at startup.

One thing to try is to package everything that would go into
WEB-INF/classes into a JAR, and place that JAR inside WEB-INF/lib.
This is easy with Maven and not difficult with Ant.

The ClassNameLocator service is the point of weakness here; it makes
some "guesses" about class loader structure in order to perform the
scan.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Jan Vissers <Ja...@cumquat.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Comparing wicket and T5 for our next stack selection; giving T5 a final go
>  on OC4J 10.1.3+ (also 11g) - without maven.
>
>  Simplest of projects:
>
>  WEB-INF/web.xml contains:
>
>    <context-param>
>       <param-name>tapestry.app-package</param-name>
>       <param-value>com.cumquatit.tapestry.tutorial</param-value>
>    </context-param>
>    <filter>
>       <filter-name>app</filter-name>
>       <filter-class>org.apache.tapestry.TapestryFilter</filter-class>
>    </filter>
>    <filter-mapping>
>       <filter-name>app</filter-name>
>       <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>    </filter-mapping>
>
>  WEB-INF also contains a file:
>    Start.tml
>
>  Package com.cumquatit.tapestry.pages contains:
>    Start.java
>
>  Packaged in .WAR and deployed successfully. Trying:
>    http://riederhof31:8888/hellotap/       => 403 Forbidden
>    http://riederhof31:8888/hellotap/start/ => 404 Not Found
>    http://riederhof31:8888/hellotap/start  => 404 Not Found
>
>  Although I checked Tomcat deployment notes, I can't see anything wrong
>  with my deployment. Bottomline; is there anybody out there in the world
>  already doing stuff with T5 on OC4J, or is everybody just using Jetty?
>
>  Getting T5 to work on OC4J will be critical for our decision to keep
>  Tapestry in our web development stack. We have been users of T3 and T4 for
>  a couple of years now, of which T4 had also a number of (Hivemind related)
>  issues on OC4J.
>
>  Hoping somebody can chime in!
>  Thanks,
>  -J.