Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by agilone <er...@medyanova.com> on 2012/09/24 23:54:43 UTC

Implementing Cache and CacheManager with Memcached [Scalable scenario - multiple servers]

Hi All,

I am trying to implement session management on cluster. I am looking for
reliable and scalable solutions.

In the first implementation of session management, I used MySQL [implemented
SessionDAO with ORM] as persistent  and the performance was terrible.

I have gone through the forum post's/article's and it seems that it's OK to
use EnterpriseCacheSessionDAO as a session persistent with distributed
caching in front of it [ in Production environment ].

My understanding is caching layer that is actually provides the scalability
rather than the session layer. So providing distributed cache in front of my
SessionDAO will provide me the scalability.

I know that I can use Terracotta and EhCache as it's stated in this article
from Shiro Guys
[http://shiro.apache.org/session-management.html#SessionManagement-EhcacheTerracotta]
but my intention is using Memcached instead of EhCache+Terracotta.

My questions are

1- Is it OK to use EnterpriseCacheSessionDAO for my production environment
[with distributed caching], how reliable is it?

2- What should I do in order to use Memcached instead of Terracota+EhCache?
Is it OK to just implement Cache and CacheManager
[https://github.com/cilogi/gaeshiro/tree/master/src/main/java/com/cilogi/shiro/gae]
as in this repo and leave the rest for Shiro?

 Excuse my lingo if there is any misunderstanding or incorrect information.
I really appreciate any help/advise.

Thanks in Advance

ED