Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/16 14:06:08 UTC

Cleaning stage...? [WAS Re: Nightly builds all fail]

On Jan 16, 2008 3:29 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
> > Noel, could you do me a favor please when you find the time and have a
> > look into the stage directory on the build machine.
>
> I purged it (rm -rf) and replaced it from SVN.

was in two minds about cleanly deleting all artifacts from staging and
distribution. i prefer to clean everything but the existing build kept
versions with different names around.

opinions?

- robert

Re: Cleaning stage...? [WAS Re: Nightly builds all fail]

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Donnerstag, den 17.01.2008, 18:39 +0000 schrieb Robert Burrell
Donkin:
> On Jan 17, 2008 7:23 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 16, 2008 2:06 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> >
> > <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > was in two minds about cleanly deleting all artifacts from staging and
> > > distribution. i prefer to clean everything but the existing build kept
> > > versions with different names around.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't get you.
>
> the aboriginal ant script for the monolithic build only clean
> artifacts with the same version. so (for example) if the current
> version is 7.4.7 then james-whatever-7.4.7.jar would be deleted but
> not james-whatever-7.4.6.jar or  james-whatever-7.4.8.jar. i preserved
> this behaviour.
>
> i could easily alter the behaviour so that if the build creates a
> james-whatever-7.4.7.jar then clean will delete
> james-whatever-*.*.*.jar.
>
> is this clearer now?
>
> - robert

This sound perfect to me.

Thx for clearify.

bye
Norman

Re: Cleaning stage...? [WAS Re: Nightly builds all fail]

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Jan 17, 2008 7:39 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 7:23 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 16, 2008 2:06 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> >
> > <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > was in two minds about cleanly deleting all artifacts from staging and
> > > distribution. i prefer to clean everything but the existing build kept
> > > versions with different names around.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't get you.
>
> the aboriginal ant script for the monolithic build only clean
> artifacts with the same version. so (for example) if the current
> version is 7.4.7 then james-whatever-7.4.7.jar would be deleted but
> not james-whatever-7.4.6.jar or  james-whatever-7.4.8.jar. i preserved
> this behaviour.
>
> i could easily alter the behaviour so that if the build creates a
> james-whatever-7.4.7.jar then clean will delete
> james-whatever-*.*.*.jar.
>
> is this clearer now?

yes, thanks. ok, +1. this works as long as naming changes consistently.

  Bernd

Re: Cleaning stage...? [WAS Re: Nightly builds all fail]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 3:29 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> >
> > > Noel, could you do me a favor please when you find the time and have a
> > > look into the stage directory on the build machine.
> >
> > I purged it (rm -rf) and replaced it from SVN.
>
> was in two minds about cleanly deleting all artifacts from staging and
> distribution. i prefer to clean everything but the existing build kept
> versions with different names around.

Sorry, I don't get you.
Are you proposing to
* have an ant target which deletes from stage anything which does not
belong there? (how could that work?)
* to svn checkout the stage dir at the beginning of every build?

  Bernd