Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael Potter <po...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/06 21:19:33 UTC

Duplicate names in operation

Axis2 Crew,

I have a webservice with several operations that have exactly the same
input: A customer number.  Each one returns a different output.

Is there a reason to make them artificially different?  I have not had
a problem, but I ran across this url:
http://w.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html#Operation_Signatures

The person who turned me on to that url was having a problem because
when the inputs are the same, there was no way to distinguish between
different operations based on the input.  He was using a different
framework.

I am asking this question because I want to make sure my .wsdl files
are as portable as I can make them in case I want to support multiple
frameworks.

--
Michael Potter

Re: Duplicate names in operation

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Axis2 supports dispatching based on the Action parameter, but not all
frameworks do. In fact, the WS-I Basic Profile explicitly disallows
dispatching based solely on the Action parameter. It requires that
each message must provide a unique signature (defined as the QName of
the child element of the SOAP Body).

If you want your WSDL to be supported by other frameworks, you should
make the message signature unique. Nick's suggestion of using wrapped
doc/lit is the way to go.

Anne

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 7, 2007 1:49 AM, Michael Potter <po...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Axis2 Crew,
>
> I have a webservice with several operations that have exactly the same
> input: A customer number.  Each one returns a different output.
>
> Is there a reason to make them artificially different?  I have not had
> a problem, but I ran across this url:
> http://w.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html#Operation_Signatures
>
> The person who turned me on to that url was having a problem because
> when the inputs are the same, there was no way to distinguish between
> different operations based on the input.  He was using a different
> framework.

if your transport is HTTP you can use the soap action to dispatch the
operations.
Actually this is what axis2 uses as well.

Thanks,
Amila.

> I am asking this question because I want to make sure my .wsdl files
> are as portable as I can make them in case I want to support multiple
> frameworks.
>
> --
> Michael Potter

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Duplicate names in operation

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Michael,

My suggestion would be to use a Document/Literal Wrapped WSDL.  That would
give you an operation wrapper distinguishing each of the operations from
each other.

Here's an article that describes each of the types a little more.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/

Hope that helps....

Regards,

-Nick

             "Michael Potter"
             <pottmi@gmail.com
                                       axis-user@ws.apache.org
             12/06/2007 02:19                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Duplicate names in operation
             Please respond to