Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> on 2006/11/08 06:12:37 UTC

[java] client tests hanging

After the flurry of commits yesterday, I'm seeing the client tests
hang with an error about being unable to connect to the broker (see
below). Anyone else seeing the same?

--steve

     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,746 INFO  [pool-9-thread-3]
handler.ConnectionCloseMethodHandler
(ConnectionCloseMethodHandler.java:52) - ConnectionClose received
with reply code/reply text 200/JMS client is closing the connection.
for AMQProtocolSession(anonymous(15375609))
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,752 INFO  [AnonymousIoService-7]
protocol.AMQProtocolHandler (AMQProtocolHandler.java:167) - Session
closed called by client
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,753 INFO  [AnonymousIoService-7]
protocol.AMQProtocolHandler (AMQProtocolHandler.java:212) - Protocol
Session [org.apache.qpid.client.protocol.AMQProtocolHandler@82f3da]
closed
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,779 INFO  [main]
protocol.AMQPFastProtocolHandler (AMQPFastProtocolHandler.java:132) -
Protocol Session closed
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,784 INFO  [main] pool.PoolingFilter
(PoolingFilter.java:179) - Destroy called on PoolingFilter
AsynchronousWriteFilter
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,791 INFO  [main] pool.PoolingFilter
(PoolingFilter.java:179) - Destroy called on PoolingFilter
AsynchronousReadFilter
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,799 INFO  [main]
transport.TransportConnection (TransportConnection.java:311) -
Killing VM Broker:1
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,805 INFO  [main]
client.AMQConnection (AMQConnection.java:174) - Connection:amqp://
guest:guest@Client1162962525805/test_path?brokerlist='vm://:1'
     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,812 INFO  [main]
client.AMQConnection (AMQConnection.java:210) - Unable to connect to
broker at vm://:1

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
We *really* didn't mean to cause you any problems. Sorry.

We didn't know what the test restructuring you were doing was so the damage
was inadvertant :-( We're done on the release changes front now - so
shouldn't hold you up.

BTW we don't usually send notes about what we're planning to work on. Maybe
we need to have a project policy on using the 'Start Progress' JIRA option
to help with this ?

Marnie

On Nov 10, 2006, at 10:10 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 2006, at 3:28 AM, Marnie McCormack wrote:
>> > As you all know we're currently getting organised for M1.
>>
>> Yep, and I've been working to make maven ready for it. Brian asked
>> the question about moving to maven for M1 in another thread last
>> night, and I'm surprised to see no answers to it this morning.
>>
>> > At things stand
>> > there are several open JIRAs for this work. Most of the changes you
>> > are
>> > seeing are directly related to the legal/license requirements for
>> > releasing,
>> > with some others being derived from these changes.
>>
>> This isn't accurate. I don't think the reorganization of tests that
>> occurred earlier this week was necessary for legal/license
>> requirements.
>>
>> All I'm saying in my email below is that 1) it would have been nice
>> to have gotten advance notice that the tests were going to be
>> reorganized, so that I wouldn't have wasted time moving the old stuff
>> around on my branch, and 2) the only thing keeping maven from being
>> ready for M1 is the need for further improvement to the test
>> structure.
>
> I'm sorry you feel like you wasted time moving the old stuff arround.
> We were having increased problems with the tests failing and not
> seeing exactly why so started the re-org as per QPID-37 created back
> Oct 17th.

IMO a JIRA is a definitely good thing to have for cases like this,
but it's not enough -- it's no substitute for a simple note to qpid-
dev announcing that you're planning to reorganize stuff to resolve it.

--steve

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
As you all know we're currently getting organised for M1. At things stand

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
Sorry Gordon, got called away before I hit commit.. Strange I thought
I had done that before I left. Ah well thanks for doing that.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Nov 10, 2006, at 4:22 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:

> Martin Ritchie wrote:
>> Sorry about that I hadn't noticed it there were two @Afters.
>
> I checked in a fix that removes the @After from the stopVmBroker()
> and calls that explicitly from the shutdown method. All tests pass
> for me.

All tests now pass for me as well.

--steve

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Nov 9, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:

> Steve the tests were failing because the InVM broker hadn't been
> created. I have:
> - Check all unit tests create and destroy InVM Brokers
> - Reorganised unit tests to test.unit
>    + This allows ant build system to show what is being built and
> allow easier detection of failure
> - The tests are now timedout after 90seconds so this should prevent
> the tests hanging forever.
>
> Let me know if the tests are still failling for you. I'd recommend the
> 'testreport' target this will show a summary on screen but create html
> reports in build/<module>/test/junit/index.html

If I run "ant test" it still hangs, in the
org.apache.qpid.test.unit.transacted.TransactedTest. I left it there
for many minutes to see if it would timeout and finish, but it didn't.

If I run "ant testreport" the same test fails due to
"junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Timeout occurred", but at
least it doesn't hang.

--steve

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [java] client tests hanging

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 08/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
> After the flurry of commits yesterday, I'm seeing the client tests
> hang with an error about being unable to connect to the broker (see
> below). Anyone else seeing the same?
>
> --steve
>
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,746 INFO  [pool-9-thread-3]
> handler.ConnectionCloseMethodHandler
> (ConnectionCloseMethodHandler.java:52) - ConnectionClose received
> with reply code/reply text 200/JMS client is closing the connection.
> for AMQProtocolSession(anonymous(15375609))
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,752 INFO  [AnonymousIoService-7]
> protocol.AMQProtocolHandler (AMQProtocolHandler.java:167) - Session
> closed called by client
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,753 INFO  [AnonymousIoService-7]
> protocol.AMQProtocolHandler (AMQProtocolHandler.java:212) - Protocol
> Session [org.apache.qpid.client.protocol.AMQProtocolHandler@82f3da]
> closed
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,779 INFO  [main]
> protocol.AMQPFastProtocolHandler (AMQPFastProtocolHandler.java:132) -
> Protocol Session closed
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,784 INFO  [main] pool.PoolingFilter
> (PoolingFilter.java:179) - Destroy called on PoolingFilter
> AsynchronousWriteFilter
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,791 INFO  [main] pool.PoolingFilter
> (PoolingFilter.java:179) - Destroy called on PoolingFilter
> AsynchronousReadFilter
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,799 INFO  [main]
> transport.TransportConnection (TransportConnection.java:311) -
> Killing VM Broker:1
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,805 INFO  [main]
> client.AMQConnection (AMQConnection.java:174) - Connection:amqp://
> guest:guest@Client1162962525805/test_path?brokerlist='vm://:1'
>     [junit] 2006-11-08 00:08:45,812 INFO  [main]
> client.AMQConnection (AMQConnection.java:210) - Unable to connect to
> broker at vm://:1

If you can tell me what test is being run I'll look in to it. There
are several messages that appear in the test output that look
erroneous however, that might be a test to ensure that the client code
responds well when trying to connect to a broker that doesn't exist.

--
Martin Ritchie