Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com> on 2009/01/09 01:41:43 UTC

[Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Here's RC8. The only change from RC7 is the fix for the header files
that Ted mentioned:

http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC8/

--Rafael

Re: RDMA buffers and maxFrameSize

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
gregory james marsh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into the use of Infiniband send/recv Buffers (ibv_reg_mr) in
> the C++ RDMA connector code (M4 RC3).  As far as I can tell, the buffer
> size is based on the ConnectionSettings.maxFrameSize specified by the
> client via the following object chain:
>
> ConnectionSettings.maxFrameSize
> |
> RdmaConnector
> |
> ConnectionParams.maxRecvBufferSize
> |
> AsynchIO.bufferSize
> |
> createBuffer(bufferSize)
>
> I've noticed that default maxFrameSize is 65535 and clients can set it
> LOWER without any problem.  I tried setting it to 200,000 just to see
> what would happen.  It appears the code iteratively tries to reduce
> large maxFrameSizes to something below 65535:
>
> $ grep createBuffer broker_trace.txt  // My own tracing
> rdma_wrap.h:  QueuePair:  createBuffer(3392)
> rdma_wrap.h:  QueuePair:  createBuffer(3392)

The maximum frame size is a 16 bit value so 65535 bytes is the maximum
value it can take. The 3392 value is the result of truncating 200000 to
16 bits.

RDMA buffers and maxFrameSize

Posted by gregory james marsh <ma...@cse.ohio-state.edu>.

Hi,

I'm looking into the use of Infiniband send/recv Buffers (ibv_reg_mr) in
the C++ RDMA connector code (M4 RC3).  As far as I can tell, the buffer
size is based on the ConnectionSettings.maxFrameSize specified by the
client via the following object chain:

ConnectionSettings.maxFrameSize

RdmaConnector

ConnectionParams.maxRecvBufferSize

AsynchIO.bufferSize

createBuffer(bufferSize)

I've noticed that default maxFrameSize is 65535 and clients can set it
LOWER without any problem.  I tried setting it to 200,000 just to see what
would happen.  It appears the code iteratively tries to reduce large
maxFrameSizes to something below 65535:

$ grep createBuffer broker_trace.txt  // My own tracing
rdma_wrap.h:  QueuePair:  createBuffer(3392)
rdma_wrap.h:  QueuePair:  createBuffer(3392)
.
.
$ grep "createBuffer(3392)" broker_trace.txt | wc -l
128  // 64 each for send & recv

Here is the calculation that appears to happen:

3392 = 200,000 - (65536 * 3)

This appears to be over compensation for too large of maxFrameSize.  Could
someone point me to the file in the code base where this adjustment is
happening, I'd like to experiment a bit.

Thanks,

Gregory Marsh

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Ted Ross wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>> Rafael Schloming wrote:
>>> Here's RC8. The only change from RC7 is the fix for the header files
>>> that Ted mentioned:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC8/
>>>
>>> --Rafael
>>

>> If Ted and Steve and verify the two issues have been corrected, as you
>> know what to look for.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Carl.
> I've verified that the packaging problem has been solved.
>
> There's a regression (introduced in 727362) that causes the qpid-config
> utility to fail when using Python versions earlier than 2.5.  This has
> been fixed on the trunk and on the M4 branch but is not in the RC8 tag.
> It might be prudent to pick this up for the final M4.

I'll be doing a respin tomorrow morning to build an RC9 that includes
this fix, a fix from Aidan, and a fix from Rajith for an SSL connection
closing issue.

--Rafael

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Rafael Schloming wrote:
>> Here's RC8. The only change from RC7 is the fix for the header files
>> that Ted mentioned:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC8/
>>
>> --Rafael
>

> If Ted and Steve and verify the two issues have been corrected, as you
> know what to look for.
>
> Thanks
> Carl.
I've verified that the packaging problem has been solved.

There's a regression (introduced in 727362) that causes the qpid-config
utility to fail when using Python versions earlier than 2.5.  This has
been fixed on the trunk and on the M4 branch but is not in the RC8 tag.
It might be prudent to pick this up for the final M4.

-Ted

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:

>> We need to pick a close down date for M5, and then it would be good for
>> everyone to list the key things they want to do for it. I have started a
>> list here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/looking+to+pitch+in
>>
>> Please add / edit as needed. I am thinking close down for M5 in March.
>>
>> Regards
>> Carl.
>>
> Hi Carl,
>
> I am supposed to work on the C++ broker message priority, had very
> little time to look into it though. I will continue to work on that. I
> have started to work on the Windows client build from command line
> already. (without knowing that it was there on your list). I have a
> couple of concerns related to that and the build systems as a whole.

great, my list does not mean I will work on all those items... it is
just what I would like to see :-)

> 1. In source generation, the generated makefiles, rubygen.mk and
> managementgen.mk have header files listed under source variables. It
> is quite useful if we can get the source generator to omit them.
>
> 2. Its better if we can have separate directories for IDE files (ides)
> and build scripts (build) so that the root is not cluttered with all
> sorts of build scripts.

I don't have a windows build env on my machine, so am not the best to
comment on these two points. If needed I can put it into a guest if
other on the list needed extra input on the topic.

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
Hi Steve,

> This can also be customized with the MPC tool... Let's talk more about
> what the ultimate goal of this effort is.

The idea is to let anybody having an Express Edition of VS and the
Platform SDK installed on his system manage Qpid build with nmake. I
strongly believe we should have a command line build facility for Qpid
on Windows. If we take Axis2/C for an example, we can build it on
Windows from command line and I think most of the people find it quite
useful.

I never knew that you had the MPC scripts with you already :). Why don't
you go ahead and generate the nmake makefiles so that most of the devs
who prefer nmake would be benefited?.

Its quite nice if we can have the nmake build scripts and the IDE
projects in separate directories. Again this is how we have the build
scripts in Axis2/C. I dont say we should stick to how things are done
there, but that looks quite organized. (at least to me :))

Thanks,

Danushka

--
Danushka Menikkumbura
Technical Lead, WSO2 Inc.

blog : http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/

RE: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Danushka,

> > We need to pick a close down date for M5, and then it would
> be good for
> > everyone to list the key things they want to do for it. I
> have started a
> > list here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/looking+to+pitch+in

> Hi Carl,
>
> I have started to work on the Windows client build from command line

> already. (without knowing that it was there on your list). I have a
> couple of concerns related to that and the build systems as a whole.

What is the general desire here? I can easily generate different
format files with the tool that generates the VC9 .vcproj/.sln files.

> 1. In source generation, the generated makefiles, rubygen.mk and
> managementgen.mk have header files listed under source
> variables. It is
> quite useful if we can get the source generator to omit them.
>
> 2. Its better if we can have separate directories for IDE
> files (ides)
> and build scripts (build) so that the root is not cluttered with all

> sorts of build scripts.

This can also be customized with the MPC tool... Let's talk more about
what the ultimate goal of this effort is.

Thanks,
-Steve

Re: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Carl,
Will update once I've completed some final planning this end. My impression
is that the list is large on the Java side with some complex pieces of work.

>From my pov, Flow To Disk is getting urgent and more compelling than some
other changes - this'd be my choice of big ticket item. Ill update the wiki
page shortly.

Regards,
Marnie

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/1/14 Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>:

> On the c++ side I would personally like to see a relatively light list of
> features (selectors, priorities) with more focus on consolidation (e.g.
> ensuring that federation, clustering, ssl, sasl security layers, rdma etc
> all work well in combination) and perhaps some work on performance.
>
> I'd also like to make sure we have plenty of time so that we can ensure the
> out-of-box experience across all components (individually and as a
> collective) is as good as we can make it.
>
> One specific question I'd like to raise is getting interop between all
> components. I think that is a very important goal. Can we manage it for the
> next release? I think the best way to do that would be 0-10 support for the
> java broker.

I completely agree with all of this. I think qpid has a very good
featureset now (the two items listed above for C++ would definitely be
worth adding though) and the key now must be to broaden adoption by
ensuring that everyone can start using it quickly. This would include
things like ensuring qpid works well with Mule, CXF etc. as well as
any .NET WCF frameworks.

RG

Re: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> If the features on the page for M5 are more, shall we say, aspirational -
>>> let's use them as a roadmap for 2009.
>> I'm certainly keen on understanding how our roadmap will take us to the
>> point where all Qpid components interoperate with each other. If it is not
>> feasible for the next release thats fine.
>
> I suspect the most achievable way to approach this is to refactor the
> broker and improve the test coverage for M5, then add extra protocols
> after that.
>
> Small, iterative improvements and frequent releases tends to go more
> smoothly than hackfest + big push.

Fair enough; thats hard to argue with!

Re: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On 1/15/09, Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I buy the argument that a full java multi-protocol bonanza is not
>  achievable in M5 timeline. And I also agree that one of the key things
>  users want is a stable product even in unforseen production
>  circumstances, so flow to disk would seem to be an important feature
>  to add for M5.
>
>  So if we accept that M5 will be a stability release, do we want to
>  risk destabilising other areas by performing signfiicant refactoring?

No, which is why I suggested the bits of refactoring that are at the
"good hygiene and cleanliness" end of the spectrum rather than the
"rip it out with a chainsaw, throw it up in the air and put it back
together with a blowtorch" end.

The I/O stuff is mostly about decoupling the protocol handler from
MINA, particularly the reliance on MINA byte buffers.

The seperation of the store into a transaction log and a disk store is
similary more about simplyfying (sp!) existing code, in this case
seperating message body storage and retrieval from metadata.

>  And I really think we should bin this silly Mx release numbering convention:-)

That's an entirely different barrell of fish kettles full of worms. My
opinon hasn't changed since we discussed this in August:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-qpid-dev/200808.mbox/%3Ca4265f2a0808220232v6fc79992ja174c9db2ad46167@mail.gmail.com%3E

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Robert Greig wrote:

>>> I'm certainly keen on understanding how our roadmap will take us to the
>>> point where all Qpid components interoperate with each other. If it is not
>>> feasible for the next release thats fine.
>>>
>> I suspect the most achievable way to approach this is to refactor the
>> broker and improve the test coverage for M5, then add extra protocols
>> after that.
>>

> Let me play devil's advocate for a moment.
>
> I buy the argument that a full java multi-protocol bonanza is not
> achievable in M5 timeline. And I also agree that one of the key things
> users want is a stable product even in unforseen production
> circumstances, so flow to disk would seem to be an important feature
> to add for M5.
>
> So if we accept that M5 will be a stability release, do we want to
> risk destabilising other areas by performing signfiicant refactoring?
> Even with the best efforts for test coverage, you would have to be
> honest to potential users to say that there is some degree of risk in
> an M5 that also had significant refactoring.
>
> So with that logic I'm led to the conclusion that M5 should be a
> relatively focussed "stability and minor feature" release (for Java
> broker at least) before it embarks upon major upheaval for M6. M6 will
> probably really be a "point zero" release and users who demand total
> production stability would only look to pick up M7 or M8.

based on this reasoning which I think is solid, we should pick a release
and hit it hard with
the refactoring we want to do.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
> And I really think we should bin this silly Mx release numbering convention:-)

+1

For 5 I vote we drop the M.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Probably not.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I agree, very well put RG !

In terms of the details, can people start assigning Release 5 JIRAs to
themselves and scoping them in, please? We can then update the
roadmap/feature list from the JIRAs people have identified for inclusion.

Regards,
Marnie

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Marnie McCormack
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Let's try to narrow this list down a bit for a target M5 timescale ?
>
> As we've chatted about, I agree we should timebox our releases. But I think
> the Doctor might struggle with that lot before end March :-)

Obviously it depends on how many people are working on it. I think I
could manage the changes to the store interface and contribute some
work on the test coverage front.

Other people have expressed an interest in working on the transport
layer, so hopefully they might speak up?

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Planning M5/ or whatever we call it

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Let's try to narrow this list down a bit for a target M5 timescale ?

As we've chatted about, I agree we should timebox our releases. But I think
the Doctor might struggle with that lot before end March :-)

Bfn,
Marnie

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I think (and some of this I wasn't around for) that we had agreed that more
was more on the release front. Certainly it gives us more
confidence/motivation to keep everything in good shape on trunk (i.e. test
it !).

For the Java releases, I'd personally rather keep an early & frequent
approach to releasing and have goals for each one that match up (loosely)
with the time available and the commitment in people terms to tasks. We can
plan different release schedules for the verious components, with an
agreement around interop testing, though.

If people know that they're going to be working on, let's start there and
then see if anyone has any time left.

I should know what that looks like for me next week. How is everyone else
fixed in terms of shouting out what they plan to do ?

Interop is a definite goal and an important one for us all I agree. On the
Java broker side I have come around (personally) to thinking that Flow To
Disk blows everything else of the water in importance terms. Let's make our
broker survive (without yeuch recovery) in all cases then do everything
else. Just seeing how that plans in/out with available resources to make it
happen.

I think we'll need to talk about which changes to branch for - some things
on the list are pretty big items that might well span more than one release
cycle.

Again, just my penny's worth.

Hth,
Marnie

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Marnie McCormack wrote:
>> The build window for a March release is around 55 days (allowing for
>> some
>> testing time). Not a huge amount, given utilisation etc.
>
> Maybe March is too soon?

I would say end April at the latest.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Reading this, I think we're danger of being a little over-optimistic for M5
scope.

I'd be keen to take a more considered approach to scoping M5, with estimates
(very much ballpark) on the existing JIRAs we're looking at implementing. On
the Java broker side, we need to focus on robustness and reliability
(defects) as much as new features.

The build window for a March release is around 55 days (allowing for some
testing time). Not a huge amount, given utilisation etc. Might be good to
get people to start bagging the JIRAs they plan to work on in M5 and see
what we have from there. This would give us a tangible basis for a plan. And
it'd be nice to have one of those (loose & JIRA based) to make the release
easier to close out.

If the features on the page for M5 are more, shall we say, aspirational -
let's use them as a roadmap for 2009.

Just my tuppence. I'll be assigning JIRAs out across my friends & colleagues
when we have agreed what we're doing locally. That should help a bit.

Regards,
Marnie

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> We need to pick a close down date for M5, and then it would be good for
>> everyone to list the key things they want to do for it. I have started a
>> list here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/looking+to+pitch+in
>>

> Is there a reason not to use Jira for capturing this? Issues raised
> against a milestone would make producing the release notes at the end
> a lot easier.
>
> - Aidan

yes, it is easier to see the top level topics that people want to work
on in a list on a wiki page. I
would however agree that once we have a target list that we then break
it into JIRA. I expect that
some items might land up being a whole list of JIRA's, so this serves to
create a high level summary.

I also believe that the JIRA will have a bunch of bugs that we would
want to do in it. So I suggest
that we create the list on wiki, in parallel clean JIRA. Then add the
feature JIRA's from the wiki
to the JIRA at the end of the process

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Steve Huston wrote:
>> Here's RC8. The only change from RC7 is the fix for the header files
>>

>> that Ted mentioned:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC8/
>>

> +1
>
> Thanks!
> -Steve

+1 legal seems good, Carl.

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> Which artifact? The C++ release has generated code.

I tried cpp in qpid-M4. Sorry for not being specific.

Danushka

RE: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
> I do not see generated source in this artifact. Was it decided not to
> include generated source in the source dist?. (Sorry I did not follow
> most of the threads lately).
>
> Danushka

so far we have never included generated source

Carl.

Re: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

RE: [Vote] Release RC8 as M4

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.