Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Peter <p....@arenae.ch> on 2014/05/13 12:18:11 UTC

Drastic Performance Improvement by dropping xerces and xalan

We had some performance problems with fop and began to investigate. For a
specific example document of about 400 pages fop took about 55 seconds on a
server at a client. The same process was much faster in our own setting
(taking about 11 seconds). What we found out is the following:

- fop from the distribution (either 1.1 release or 1.2 snapshot) takes 55
seconds
- fop from the suse package takes only 11 seconds

The two configurations differ in the jars: The suse config does not include
xercesImpl, xalan and serializer

We are running
java version "1.7.0_40"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.1) (suse-8.18.1-x86_64)

So, removing these three libraries drastically improved performance for us.

Can someone explain why this is so? Can I safely drop these jars?

Best regards
Peter

Re: Drastic Performance Improvement by dropping xerces and xalan

Posted by Peter <p....@arenae.ch>.
As you both suspected, the performance difference is related to the
stylesheet transformation. We have now found the origin: It was a
<xsl:for-each> with a "//..." selector. When we change it to something
better (in our case /*/... was the better expression) the performance of the
jdk xalan and the one shipped with fop was the same.

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

-xsl and -xml command line parameters are there for convenience.
FOP delegates XSLT transformation to Xalan before do its own job:
render pdf (or whatever supported format).

You can do the XSLT transformation by yourself, using whatever XSLT
processor you want, and feed FOP with resulting XSL-FO.
That can be done a batch processing.

So, Xalan dependencies (and associated Xerces) can be removed from FOP bundle.

--
pascal

Re: Drastic Performance Improvement by dropping xerces and xalan

Posted by Peter <p....@arenae.ch>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.