Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by revas <re...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/09 13:09:28 UTC

Multi-language support

Hi,

To reframe my earlier question

Some languages have just analyzers only but nostemmer from snowball
porter,then does the analyzer take care of stemming as well?

Some languages only have the stemmer from snowball but no analyzer?

Some have both.

Can we say then that solr supports all the above languages .Will search be
same across all the above cases?

thanks
revas

Re: Multi-language support

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Apr 9, 2009, at 7:09 AM, revas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To reframe my earlier question
>
> Some languages have just analyzers only but nostemmer from snowball
> porter,then does the analyzer take care of stemming as well?
>
> Some languages only have the stemmer from snowball but no analyzer?
>
> Some have both.
>
> Can we say then that solr supports all the above languages .Will
> search be
> same across all the above cases?

I just responded to the earlier question, but it didn't contain this
question.  No, I wouldn't say that search would be the same.  Stemmed
vs. non-stemmed may result in different results, just as one stemmer
implementation results will differ from a different stemming approach.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search