Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/12/05 04:09:21 UTC

[naming] svn repo

This weekend, I will grab the latest commons-naming sources and commit
them to the "real" directory repo. I will post to commons-dev before doing
the import and remove the sources from the commons cvs once I have
validated the new setup.

Being an svn neophyte, I want to minimize the complexity of this
operation, so what I would like to do is just what I did in importing into
the test repo -- just use svn add, not import and make no attempt to
preserve CVS revision history.  There have been relatively few changes in
commons.  Is everyone OK with this?  If others feel strongly, I will need
some help figuring out how to do this safely.

Phil

Re: [naming] svn repo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Phil Steitz wrote:

> This weekend, I will grab the latest commons-naming sources and commit
> them to the "real" directory repo. I will post to commons-dev before
> doing the import and remove the sources from the commons cvs once I
> have validated the new setup.
>
> Being an svn neophyte, I want to minimize the complexity of this
> operation, so what I would like to do is just what I did in importing
> into the test repo -- just use svn add, not import and make no attempt
> to preserve CVS revision history.  There have been relatively few
> changes in commons.  Is everyone OK with this?  If others feel
> strongly, I will need some help figuring out how to do this safely.

No objections here!

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: [naming] svn repo

Posted by Jeff Machols <jm...@comcast.net>.

Let me know if you need to preserve the history, I can give you a hand.
It's not terrible, but there are some manual steps and some possible snags.

Jeff

Re: [naming] svn repo

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>

>>I will grab the latest commons-naming sources and commit them
>>to the "real" directory repo.
>

> Sounds good.
>

>>what I would like to do is [just] use svn add, not import and
>>make no attempt to preserve CVS revision history.
>

> Correct me if I am wrong, but the history wasn't copied over history when
> naming was copied over from catalina, right?  If not, then there wouldn't be
> much point during it now.  I feel that if you just note in the initial add
> that the code origin is from catalina with a short stop in Jakarta Commons,
> that we'll be OK.

Yes. That's why I wasn't planning to try to preserve the (short) history
from Jakarta Commons Sandbox.  I will annotate as you suggest.

Phil

RE: [naming] svn repo

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.