Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Hua Yuan <hu...@scanvecamiable.com> on 2001/10/22 16:06:29 UTC

make a mac build for Xerces

hi,

I would like to build a Mac version of Xeerves-c for Apache, but I have some
questions

(1) I have to modify the code to make it compile, the main reason
	is that some file name is too long, we know that the file name can
not exceed 31 on Mac before Mac OS X;
	hope someone can change this;

(2) the current Xeerves-c lack Encoding support for Asian Language like
Japanese/Chinese;
	wonder if someone can add it;

(3) after I compile it, how to I send the binary ?

	thanks!

	hua yuan

Hua, Yuan
Senior Software Engineer
Scanvec Amiable
International Plaza Two, Suite 625
Philadelphia, PA 19113-1518 USA
Email: huay@scanvecamiable.com
Phone: 610-521-6300 ext. 155
Fax: 610-521-0111

Re: make a mac build for Xerces

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
Hello Hua,

There is a Mac port of Xerces, provided in source form through the normal
Xerces distribution. Xerces can be built under CodeWarrior, Project Builder,
or from the Mac OS X unix command line.

On 10/22/01 7:06 AM, "Hua Yuan" <hu...@scanvecamiable.com> wrote:

> I would like to build a Mac version of Xeerves-c for Apache, but I have some
> questions
>
> (1) I have to modify the code to make it compile, the main reason
> is that some file name is too long, we know that the file name can
> not exceed 31 on Mac before Mac OS X;
> hope someone can change this;

Rather than change the Xerces code to fix a problem that has already been
fixed in shipping versions of Mac OS system software (Mac OS X), we have
developed a workaround script that will automatically shorten the file names
to fit Mac conventions (for use if you need to compile under Mac OS 9).
Please see the notes in the documentation
(http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build-other.html#faq-3).

> (2) the current Xeerves-c lack Encoding support for Asian Language like
> Japanese/Chinese;
> wonder if someone can add it;

The Mac port of Xerces provides encoding support through the Macintosh
Unicode Converter. I'm not an expert on Asian encodings, but I believe this
gives you the encoding support you need.

> (3) after I compile it, how to I send the binary ?

I don't believe I understand your question.

-jdb