Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/07/07 01:27:07 UTC

and traversable source (was Re: [headsup] Merging locationmap_branch to head)

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:44 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:

> > BTW all this new <map:select type="exists"> should be rethought. Nicola
> > can you explain how and maybe have a look in the commit mail 209151. Is
> > this what you meant?
>
> Most of this is a workaround for a bug in the sourceresolver. It is
> therefore temporary (see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-554).
> Tim is working with Cocoon to get it sorted out.

BTW very nice issue comments from both. It was really easy to find the
backgrounds. Thx. We should add it for "how to work with the issue
tracker" as the "state of art". ;-)

<snip tim@cocoon-user>
What I would have expected is a
SourceNotFoundException because, after all, an empty source couldn't
be found.  Is this behavior intentional? a bug?
</snip>

that would solve the "not found problem" but still there is the
<map:select type="exists"> problematic.

I am keen for more input from nicola. He mentioned in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=111933487005323&w=2

"For example, if the TraversableSource is the file system, my action
would ask all the filenames in a certain directory, and with a for loop
get all the ones with the same name in the requested URI, sorting the
extensions as I tell him to. In this way, the result of the processing
is *one* *source* *file*!"

I was using the org.apache.cocoon.generation.TraversableGenerator for the per dir views,
but the problem IMO with this is that the org.apache.cocoon.generation.TraversableGenerator will
generate from *one* directory up. Which raises the question what to do by different locations (e.g.
{project:content.xdocs} and {lm:xdocs}.

Do you, nicola, suggest we should write an "traversableSelect" action? Please explain more.

> Furthermore, when we have a forrest default locationmap there will be no
> need to look in multiple locations. SO they will all disappear.

Can you explain?

Do you mean add selectors to the lm?  If so I had a glance add the java
code and thought it was possible, but I tried and did not got it running
because I could not define "when" and "otherwise" for a "select" in the
lm.

> Ross

salu2
--