Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Matthew Barnes <ca...@covad.net> on 2003/04/04 18:36:45 UTC

javamail Authentication Error 530

I am using James 2.1.2.

I am attempting to send mail using javamail (javax.mail).

The relevant code:

        boolean DEBUG = true;
        Properties p = new Properties();
        p.put("mail.smtp.host", "mail._myhost.com");
        javax.mail.Session s = javax.mail.Session.getDefaultInstance(p, null);
        s.setPasswordAuthentication(new URLName("mail._myhost.com"), new
PasswordAuthentication("_myuser","_mypass"));
        s.setDebug(DEBUG);

_myhost, _myuser, and _mypass are all valid.

When I send to a local address everything is ok.  If I send to a remote
address, I get an Exception:

javax.mail.SendFailedException: Sending failed; nested exception is:
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses; nested exception is:
javax.mail.SendFailedException: 530 Authentication Required

I found in javamail's forums a similar problem. The poster added that they
were able to fix the problem by upgrading James.  I have upgraded
successfully but the problem still remains.

Any idea what is going on?  Authentication works in every other client to
external boxes but not with javamail.

Thank you kindly,

M B