Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/15 11:41:35 UTC

wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

   - Compilation failure
   - /data/home/wicket/teamcity-5.0/buildAgent/work/wicket-trunk/wicket/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/ng/request/Url.java:[147,46]
cannot find symbol

   - symbol  : method copyOf(java.lang.String[],int)
   - location: class java.util.Arrays
   - /data/home/wicket/teamcity-5.0/buildAgent/work/wicket-trunk/wicket/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/ng/request/Url.java:[147,46]
cannot find symbol

   - symbol  : method copyOf(java.lang.String[],int)
   - location: class java.util.Arrays

are we moving to 1.6 form 1.5?

Re: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Only thing I have aginst upgrading are the poor people who are stuck
using some commercial piece of software which runs on older java's...
However I guess those affected just will have to the wicket version
which supports that..

Posted by Korbinian Bachl - privat <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
+1 to move to 1.6;

IMHO wicket 1.5 should be state of art in all terms and in case you
stuck to JDK 1.5 you still can use wicekt 1.4;

IMHO it makes no sense to aim at a plattform thats already EOL like 1.5
is; (and 1.7 will be out by the time wicket 1.5 is release IMHO)

my 2cents,

Korbinian

RE: New german Wicket book (was: Re: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...)

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
Amazon just informed me that it is available and will be shipped today.

Stefan

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.
-1 to 1.6 dependencies in Wicket core.
+1 to additional 1.6-dependent features in separate jars.

--
Carl-Eric Menzel
Das neue deutschsprachige Wicketbuch:
 Wicket: Komponentenbasierte Webanwendungen in Java
 http://www.wicketbuch.de/

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.
+1 for moving to Java6: if you have to use Java5, you can use wicket
1.4.x. .. (maybe someone will give paid support for wicket 1.4.x :) )

Michael

RE: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
+1 for moving toJava 6. Java 5 already has reached it's "End of Service Life" http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp and java 7 is coming in early 2010. I remember some people on the list discussed some java7 enhancement that might help making wicket development easier.
Asuming that the wicket 1.5 development will last as long as the 1.4 development we can expect wicket 1.5 in late 2010/early 2011.
Wicket 1.5 seems to come along with
- API breaks
- new/enhanced ajax
And Wicket 1.5 will last long into 2011 (Wicket 1.5.1, 1.5.2 etc).
So why not go to Java6? I think it will be not an easy task to obtain an maintain Java 5 in 2011/2012!

Stefan

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Steve Swinsburg <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.
Nah. It's ok as long as you stay away from swing.

-Matej

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.
They do, on snow leopard :)

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.
As far as I remember (and please correct me if I'm wrong), support
and updates for Wicket 1.3 were ended rather quickly after the release
of 1.4. That's okay, since the team has limited resources. But it
becomes a pretty serious problem if that means you'll cut off everybody
who can't yet move up to Java 1.6.

Java 1.5 adoption was pretty much everywhere when Wicket moved up to
it. The same is not true for Java 1.6 at this time.

Carl-Eric

--
Carl-Eric Menzel
Das neue deutschsprachige Wicketbuch:
 Wicket: Komponentenbasierte Webanwendungen in Java
 http://www.wicketbuch.de/

Posted by Korbinian Bachl - privat <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
I have no clue on how many are on java 6 or java 5 or even java 4. It
would be very nice to see some metrics, so it will be clear on how
many potential wicketeers are being cut off if wicket goes java 1.6.

On the other hand it could be a "benefit" if wicket upgraded to 1.6,
some are probably just waiting for a good reason to upgrade.

And those who are not wouldn't probably upgrade from wicket 1.4 to 1.5 either.

regards Nino

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:37:41 +0100
Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have a Java 5 JDK anymore on my system. It was removed by
> Apple. Java 5 has been marked EOL: which essentially means dead.
> deceased. terminated. passed on. ceased to be. expired and gone to
> meet 'is maker. a stiff. bereft of life. rests in peace. IT'S AN
> EX-JDK!

I know that, and I completely agree. I would much rather work on 1.6
than anything older, but currently I can't do that. All I'm saying is
that there is a potentially large group of users that won't be able to
follow you/us into 1.6-land any time soon.

> We don't get paid by any corporation to provide support to wicket. If
> your customers want to pay my salary for the next 5 years or so, I'm
> happy to work on Wicket full time and maintain obsolete Java code for
> them. But they won't. They just get stuff for free...

As I said, it's perfectly reasonable for a relatively small team like
the Wicket devs to focus on one version. I'm just pointing out things
that should be known to make a conscious decision.

Carl-Eric

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.
My point is not the version numbering of Wicket, nor the upgrading
policy of our customers. You can spend endless hours debating whether
it makes sense or not to stick with 1.5.

The point is that they *will stick to 1.5* no matter what we discuss
here, for at least 2-3 more years.

Will there be support and updates for Wicket 1.4 after 1.5 is out? If
not, we're facing a potentially serious problem with these customers.

And additionally, I think there was an extremely good case for Wicket
going to Java 1.5: Generic Models. What is the case to require Java 1.6
for Wicket core? Is it really problematic to keep that to a separate
feature jar?

Carl-Eric

--
Carl-Eric Menzel
Das neue deutschsprachige Wicketbuch:
 Wicket: Komponentenbasierte Webanwendungen in Java
 http://www.wicketbuch.de/

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:05:05 +0100

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
so recently they moved to 5?

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@users.bitforce.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeroen Steenbeeke <j....@gmail.com>.
True, but my point was that for someone on the user end (the one
running the webapp, not the developers), the speed alone should be a
very compelling reason to switch to 1.6.

Re: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

Posted by Kai Grabfelder <no...@kinokai.de>.
but isn't that increase of speed only relevant during runtime? imho it doesn't matter if you compile with 1.5
or 1.6 as long as you run it with 1.6

Regards

Kai

Posted by Girts Ziemelis <gi...@gmail.com>.
Exactly!

Also those organizations, which want to stay with very old and normally
unsupported software versions usually budget for extra support. Java 1.5
is not supported normally any more by Sun, so they will be bying Sun
"retirement" support anyway or running all their business systems on
unsupported software. Similarly old version wicket support can be
provided as extra service. I am sure there will be organizations willing
to sell it, if there will be enough demand for it.

So, I am for letting the developers make the choice ...

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Neil,

http://day-to-day-stuff.blogspot.com/

RE: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
It's just the question: Will 1.5 sttill be available for the public in 2011 or 2012? Or 2013 when Wicket 1.5 is accepted by dinosours that want to stay with 1.3.

The same argument as for java 1.5 is: stay with Wicket 1.4. oder even 1.3 I'ts quite stable. AND: It's old, it's outdated then. You can safely use it. No risk to be up to date.

Stefan

Posted by Neil Curzon <ne...@gmail.com>.
-1 to JDK 1.6

Posted by Vit Rozkovec <ro...@email.cz>.
+ 1 to move on.

Posted by Kai Grabfelder <no...@kinokai.de>.
-1 for requiring JDK 6

We are starting even new projects with JDK 5 (customer requirement - mostly large financial or retail
companies). Given the speed of the JDK 1.4 > JDK 5 migration they will stick with JDK 5 (and IE 6) for at
least the next 3-4 years.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@users.bitforce.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Well, there's the benefit of using the compiler API for for example
the typesafe model. I can imagine we'll be able to implement other
things as well using this API (must call super annotation?)

Martijn

Posted by Jonas <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.
Let's call it wicket 1.5, use java 1.6 and make it happen..
Then, after we finished this, we can try to backport wicket 1.5 to java
1.5 ... if anybody want's it.

mm:)

Re: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

Posted by Ilja Pavkovic <il...@binaere-bauten.de>.
Hi,

> that would be weird.
I think the current situation with a deprecated release wicket 2.0 is also
weird. Perhaps the wicket developers should jump over the 2.0 border and
create a 3.0/2.5 (whatever > 2.0 :)) release instead of a 1.5 ?

Best Regards,
	Ilja Pavkovic

--
binaere bauten gmbh · tempelhofer ufer 1a · 10961 berlin

   +49 · 171 · 9342 465

Handelsregister: HRB 115854 - Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Inform. Ilja Pavkovic, Dipl.-Inform. Jost Becker

Re: wicket 1.5 build is failing because of 1.6 deps...

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
that would be weird.

Posted by Olivier Croisier <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
3/4 of the industry? 75% ? you must be joking...
do remember that 1.5 will not be released for quite some time
so even in 2010 you have a 1.4 version for i think the whole year.
So wicket 1.4 will only really be not so supported anymore in 2011
that means that java 5 will be more then 6 years old and java 6 will be on
the market for more then 4 years..

even hardware is replaced before that ..

we can try to avoid it for some time if possible, but if some stuff as nicer
for the core then i am against a separate jar and ugly build system

johan

Posted by Olivier Croisier <ol...@gmail.com>.
Same here :

Posted by elygre <ei...@gmail.com>.