Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2011/10/02 19:16:48 UTC

Re: [2/3] git commit: improve argument parsing in couchjs

On 2 Oct 2011, at 12:14, randall@apache.org wrote:

>  * Adds long options

> +    "\n"
> +    "  -h, --help          display a short help message and exit\n"
> +    "  -V, --version       display version information and exit\n"
> +    "  -H, --http          install %s cURL bindings (only avaiable\n"
> +    "                      if package was built with cURL available)\n"
> +    "  --stack-size=SIZE   specify that the interpreter should set the\n"
> +    "                      the stack quota for JS contexts to SIZE bytes\n"

I don't think we should do this.

The main `couchdb` command does not have long options, and I was careful to make sure that all the commands in the CouchDB package were consistent. The --stack-size doesn't have a short version, which it absolutely should do. I would remove the long versions from this command entirely, or less preferably, add long versions to the main `couchdb` command for consistency.

Re: [2/3] git commit: improve argument parsing in couchjs

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2011, at 12:14, randall@apache.org wrote:
>
>>  * Adds long options

>> +    "\n"
>> +    "  -h, --help          display a short help message and exit\n"
>> +    "  -V, --version       display version information and exit\n"
>> +    "  -H, --http          install %s cURL bindings (only avaiable\n"
>> +    "                      if package was built with cURL available)\n"
>> +    "  --stack-size=SIZE   specify that the interpreter should set the\n"
>> +    "                      the stack quota for JS contexts to SIZE bytes\n"
>
> I don't think we should do this.
>
> The main `couchdb` command does not have long options, and I was careful to make sure that all the commands in the CouchDB package were consistent. The --stack-size doesn't have a short version, which it absolutely should do. I would remove the long versions from this command entirely, or less preferably, add long versions to the main `couchdb` command for consistency.

Good call on consistency. Though I'd probably just make it a short arg.