Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Les Novell <Le...@ticketmaster.com> on 2015/08/31 23:13:13 UTC

Jetty -> AHC route producing a lot of threads

Hello, I am creating a simple route to test asynchronous message passing in
Camel.  When testing the route by creating 1000 simultaneous connections I
see that around 2000 threads are created to handle requests I'm forwarding
on using AHC component.  I am surprised, I thought that Jetty+AHC component
would use non-blocking asynchronous I/O, and a low number of threads.

Basic Route:
        restConfiguration().component("jetty").host("localhost").port(8081);
        rest("/ud").get("/wait/{timeout}")
                .to("direct:mockEndpoint").bindingMode(RestBindingMode.off);
        from("direct:mockEndpoint")
                .removeHeaders("CamelHttpPath")

.toD("ahc:http://localhost:9000/wait/${headers.timeout}?bridgeEndpoint=true");

It appears that the AHC component is creating worker threads to manage
outgoing connections to localhost:9000. One for every connection made to
localhost:9090.  Am I configuring something wrong, or is this a defect in
AHC?

Camel version is 2.16-SNAPSHOT

Thanks,
Les

Re: Jetty -> AHC route producing a lot of threads

Posted by Les Novell <Le...@ticketmaster.com>.
Thank you, I'll give this a try without dynamic routes and let you know the
results!

Posted by Les Novell <Le...@ticketmaster.com>.
Hi Claus, it works very well with a non-dynamic route. Thank you :-)

Btw, I also tried jetty as a producer compared to ahc.  Jetty component
threw a lot of exceptions during the load test, whereas ahc worked
flawlessly.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
And btw jetty also supports producer, so you can use jetty instead of ahc.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

<Le...@ticketmaster.com> wrote:
> Hello, I am creating a simple route to test asynchronous message passing in
> Camel.  When testing the route by creating 1000 simultaneous connections I
> see that around 2000 threads are created to handle requests I'm forwarding
> on using AHC component.  I am surprised, I thought that Jetty+AHC component
> would use non-blocking asynchronous I/O, and a low number of threads.
>
> Basic Route:
>         restConfiguration().component("jetty").host("localhost").port(8081);
>         rest("/ud").get("/wait/{timeout}")
>                 .to("direct:mockEndpoint").bindingMode(RestBindingMode.off);
>         from("direct:mockEndpoint")
>                 .removeHeaders("CamelHttpPath")
>
> .toD("ahc:http://localhost:9000/wait/${headers.timeout}?bridgeEndpoint=true");
>
> It appears that the AHC component is creating worker threads to manage
> outgoing connections to localhost:9000. One for every connection made to
> localhost:9090.  Am I configuring something wrong, or is this a defect in
> AHC?
>
> Camel version is 2.16-SNAPSHOT
>
> Thanks,
> Les