Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Prasanna kumar <pr...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/02 06:45:14 UTC

Regarding Flink Upgrades

Hi Community,

Currently we are using version 1.12.7 and it is running without any issue.
And we see that version 1.17 is set to release early next year.

That means we would be 5 versions behind.

1) So how far can we lag behind the current flink version ?

2) If we face any issues like log4j that we faced last year , would it be
fixed for older versions if so till what version ?

This is what I see on the update policy on old releases.  (
https://flink.apache.org/downloads.html)

[image: image.png]

 Would this hold good going forward also ?

Thanks,
Prasanna.

Re: Regarding Flink Upgrades

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Hi,

What you linked to is what the community agreed to support. So far we've
been able to support three versions at all times (e.g. currently we
merge bugfixes to 1.17.x, 1.16.x, 1.15.x), which is one extra version
than what is described in the docs. I don't think this will ever decrease.

As for older versions it is rather unlikely they will receive updates.
We might discuss it for critical bugs such as e.g. security bugs, but
only if it is easy to fix and it is always on case by case basis. Still
1.12.x is really far behind and personally I don't think it will receive
any updates going forward.

Best,

Dawid

Posted by Danny Cranmer <da...@apache.org>.
Hello Prasanna,

1) Of course we would always recommend you keep up to date. To receive
support and fixes from the Flink community you should try to stick to the
current/previous minor version, as per the policy. Releases for older
versions are rare and typically only performed under
exceptional circumstances

2) This decision is made on a case by case basis and is influenced by the
severity of the issue, demand from the community and availability of
committers.

Q) "Would this hold good going forward also?"
Yes, the "Update Policy for old releases" is the active policy. If this
were to change, it would be discussed via mailing list first. There are no
plans to change this as far as I know.

Thanks,