Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/20 21:10:03 UTC

Updated website content

All,

Some updates on content in general as there are some changes there too not related to the potential new front page.

We had a lot of content still stuck in the old markdown format of the Apache CMS.  Every page you might find via Google with a black bar across the top is live content left behind when we switched to JBake.  I pulled them over from svn about 2 years ago.  David Jencks converted them from markdown to asiidoc last year.  I pulled them from his personal branch and pushed them to master.

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/pull/26

That's where a lot of "new" content is coming from.  We needed to do this years, but never quite got it done completely.  I wanted to update a lot of the content, but didn't want to diverge so far from David's work that we could no longer use it.  So I pulled that in first and deleted the old markdown files before doing any content overhauls.

Richard, answering some of your questions here just so we're all clear that the `new-front-page` branch isn't proposing content changes aside form the front-page.

> On May 20, 2021, at 1:00 AM, Zowalla, Richard <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> wrote:
>
> - In addition, we should change all out going links to "https" instead
> of "http" (as the ASF pages have no redirect from "http" to "https" in
> place) + enable the "http" to "https" redirect for the TomEE site - but
> these are very minor tasks imho :)
>
> - Maybe we should remove Google+ from the Social Media section, if
> anybody agrees. Imho it is a _dead_ social media network.
>
> - Don't know if "IRC" is still active or if we should mention Slack
> instead on the "Support" page.

Feel free to make these changes.

> - "Support" links to "Commercial", which is a dead page (404)

We had a few incorrect relative links.  I fixed the ones I could find via find/replace:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/commit/2d98d6320e222d7d3c93dd1e497e9aaf93a00b1b

If you see any missed it's safe to update them in `tomee-site-generator` on the `master` branch.

FYI on that page specifically, we now have two copies in source:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/blob/master/src/main/jbake/content/commercial-support.adoc
 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/blob/master/src/main/jbake/content/community/commercial.adoc

We always had two copies on the published site for the reasons above, just FYI that we still have work to do to get our content completely clean.

> I can give it some love, if no one objects, but I have some workflow
> related questions left.

Very welcome and thank you!

> ## Workflow Questions:
>
> - Does the https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator repo already
> contain the changes @ staging?

The same content seen in staging is in tomee-site-generator master branch and live on https://tomee.apache.org

The front page and template updates from staging are only here:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/tree/new-home-page

> - How does the staging publish work?
> - After this is clarified, we should update the README to explain the
> new workflow for (new) contributors. (I can do this)

I had to dig around for that, so documenting it is super great.  Thanks for offering!

Here's the main resource I used:

 - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features

It's kind of a long read.  Here are the most crucial points and how it could map to us specifically:

 - Make a branch in https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator.  For example: oranges
 - Make an `oranges` branch in https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-pub.
 - In tomee-site-pub's `oranges` branch, update the .asf.yaml file so that it has the following:

    staging:
      profile: oranges
      whoami: oranges

 - Push the .asf.yaml changes to tomee-site-pub oranges branch, wait a minute or two
 - Verify https://tomee-oranges.staged.apache.org/ exists

From there you can push changes to tomee-site-generator's `oranges` branch, build them, sync them into tomee-site-pub's `oranges` branch and they should show up in a minute or two.  It's near instantaneous if you change just one html file, it takes a minute or so for a change affecting many html pages.

> From the other mailing list
> thread, I see, that we have a Jenkins job [1] for the main site in
> place. Might be useful to have one for staging too?

If we can script it, it's possible :)

Maybe we could make a copy of this job, but have it take a tomee-site-generator branch name as a build parameter:

 - https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Tomee/job/site-publish/

The job could automatically create the same branch in tomee-site-pub, update the .asf.yaml and do a build/publish.  It could potentially do that automatically upon seeing a commit on a branch.  Alternatively, we could have one tomee-site-pub branch for staging everyone shares, which could work but would have obvious limitations that only one person could really use it at a time.

Thinking out loud.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Updated website content

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
I think, that it boils down to a related cookie banner with opt-out /
opt-in to fully comply with GDPR.

We might also need to look for external loading of (Google) fonts via
CSS / embedded Javacscript :/

Gruss
Richard

Re: Updated website content

Posted by David Blevins <db...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Updated website content

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Thanks for the update!

We should also aim for

(a) Automatic redirection from http -> https via .htaccess
(b) Remove the usage of Google Analytics according to [1]

In addition, there is some ongoing discussion on the INFRA list to move
Google-hosted fonts / css to an ASF-based hosting [2] to honor privacy
constraints.

I will take a look at (a) and (b).

Gruss
Richard