Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by PM <pr...@bigfoot.com> on 2008/01/30 11:30:28 UTC

design decision re file bindings

Hi,

  I am a bit new to this so if doesn't make sense please pick me up on my
mistakes:

  I currently have part of our deisgn as follows:

    Step n) JMS (Exclusive) consumer picks up messages for the group of
datum X that it is responsible for, from a networked queue
    Step n+1) This update is then handled by a PoJo (stateful) service,
again dealing with the given range of X, for some state machine transition
on the item related to X
    Step n+2) The resulting state is then stored / serialised / marshalled
(or whatever), we have a redundant networked SAN for this purpose.  The
state is forwarded on elsewhere after the PoJo has decided what it should
be, but the state is only really used in times of failover recovery.

  Everytime an exclusive consumer is chosen by the broker (activemq 5 in my
case) for group X i wanted to initialise the state of the items in the range
X in the relevant PoJo service.  I understand there may be something in the
header I can read to tell me that this is a "you have been newly selected by
the broker" message.

  Anyway I envisaged using an In-Out message exchange from the PoJo service
to some form of file binding component to look for all the state files on
the SAN relating to the items in the range X.  But from what I am reading in
the information relating to file, ftp and vfs binding components they all
seem to be polling based.  Which kind of puts a dampner on my design
premise.  The basic objective is that I simply want my PoJo service to
initialise itself from disk when I want - not at given intervals, did I miss
something or is there a more suitable way to do this?

Regards.